Register to reply

Solar powered car

by Olivia
Tags: powered, solar
Share this thread:
Olivia
May9-05, 06:18 PM
P: 3
I have to build a solar powered car that will either a) travel a distance of 10 meters in the least time . or b) climb a meter on the stepest ramp possible. I am not sure which one would be easier to accomplish or what materials to use. I am also wondering how exactly i am going to build this thing. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Earlier Stone Age artifacts found in Northern Cape of South Africa
Study reveals new characteristics of complex oxide surfaces
sapphic_yellow
May10-05, 11:41 AM
P: 7
I'd go with the ten meters in fastest time bit. Have you been provided materials by your instructor, and do you have specific guidlines you have to abide by?
Olivia
May10-05, 02:49 PM
well we are provided with 8 2.5cm x 7.5cm solar cells and a motor, but we are free to use any materials we like and the car does not have any size limitations, there are so many options so i just don't quite know what would work best!

sapphic_yellow
May12-05, 11:35 AM
P: 7
Solar powered car

I'll ask around about standard gear ratios, but your best option on the car would be to string the solar panels in a line taking up the least area possible on a board of the thinnest balsa wood you can find. Reducing the total mass will increase your speed.

Are you provided gears with which to operate the wheels? Do a little research on what type of gear ratio would be best (make the wheels go fastest, etc.).
Olivia
May12-05, 02:31 PM
No, we aren't provided with any gears, but i will do some reasearch to see what would work best, thankyou for your help!

Register to reply