Waterproofing Lectures for Electronic Products: Notes and Resources

• Thread starter theyusufmasood
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lectures
In summary: If you have to meet a standard quickly - over-engineer the box. If you have the time, then consult an engineer and make it to standard.
theyusufmasood
Hi!

Does anyone know where I'd be able to find good notes/ lectures on waterproofing? Specifically for electronic products, if possible? Please provide me with some links if so.

Many thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Your request is too general for the answers to be much use.
Answers go from "use an umbrella" to "put it in a plastic bag", or "set it in wax", to "coat it with a hi-tech nanostructure". But waterproofing is not, on the whole, much of a big deal subject scientifically.

You will not find lectures specific to "waterproofing electronic components" - not in general.
i.e. you won't find lectures on the best plastic bags to put your electronics in. But you will find lectures on specific methods in terms of breakthrough technologies, or as part of a broader subject such as water-repellant films.

So what do you need the information for?

Simon Bridge said:
Your request is too general for the answers to be much use.
Answers go from "use an umbrella" to "put it in a plastic bag", or "set it in wax", to "coat it with a hi-tech nanostructure". But waterproofing is not, on the whole, much of a big deal subject scientifically.

You will not find lectures specific to "waterproofing electronic components" - not in general.
i.e. you won't find lectures on the best plastic bags to put your electronics in. But you will find lectures on specific methods in terms of breakthrough technologies, or as part of a broader subject such as water-repellant films.

So what do you need the information for?

Hi, thanks for your reply. I need the information for the best way to waterproof an interface housing a micro controller, Li-ion battery, and a few buttons. The product would be used in a bath tub.

A practical answer is find out about the international standard IP ratings, and then buy an enclosure and switches that have been tested to meet your requirements.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code

Is this something you have already built yourself or is it in the design stage?
What, specifically, needs to be waterproofed (a box, a set of plugs, keyboard, touch-screen... )?
The short answer is: put it in a waterproof container.

If it is yet to be build, then AlephZero is correct - use components that are rated to the required standard.
Something like, say, an Arduino motherboard will need an appropriately rated container for instance.

If it is just for you then you can probably get away with improvising something - but reviewing what manufacturers do to meet a particular rating will tell you what standard you have to meet.

Simon Bridge said:
Is this something you have already built yourself or is it in the design stage?
What, specifically, needs to be waterproofed (a box, a set of plugs, keyboard, touch-screen... )?
The short answer is: put it in a waterproof container.

If it is yet to be build, then AlephZero is correct - use components that are rated to the required standard.
Something like, say, an Arduino motherboard will need an appropriately rated container for instance.

If it is just for you then you can probably get away with improvising something - but reviewing what manufacturers do to meet a particular rating will tell you what standard you have to meet.

Thank you for your response. My product is in the final design phase. The part I need to waterproof is the remote control for a bath lift which will house an arduino micro controller, a battery, and a couple of buttons.
I will need to specify the waterproofing methods I have implemented as well as specifying the details for manufacture. I can't seem to find any resources on industry standard waterproofing techniques, though. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks

AlephZero said:
A practical answer is find out about the international standard IP ratings, and then buy an enclosure and switches that have been tested to meet your requirements.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code

didn't notice this reply earlier in the thread,

I will need to specify the waterproofing methods I have implemented as well as specifying the details for manufacture. I can't seem to find any resources on industry standard waterproofing techniques, though. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks
Use an industry standard waterproof RC box.
You should consult your supplier - tell them your needs and they will be able to supply an appropriate box.
See post #7.

OTOH: if you want to make your own to-standard box, then the standard waterproofing would involve rubber gaskets around the box seams and the keyboard would have a solid rubber or flexible plastic cover fixed watertight. This is not rocket science. You've seen devices like this.

If you have to meet a standard quickly - over-engineer the prototype.

1. What is waterproofing?

Waterproofing is the process of making a material or structure resistant to the penetration of water. This is typically done by applying a waterproof coating or barrier to the surface.

2. Why are waterproofing lectures important?

Waterproofing lectures are important because they educate individuals on the various methods and materials used for waterproofing, as well as the importance of waterproofing in protecting structures from water damage and mold growth.

3. What are some common materials used for waterproofing?

Some common materials used for waterproofing include asphalt, rubberized asphalt, polyurethane, and acrylic coatings, as well as waterproof membranes made of materials like PVC, EPDM, and TPO.

4. How does waterproofing prevent water damage?

Waterproofing prevents water damage by creating a barrier that prevents water from seeping through surfaces and causing damage. This can include preventing mold growth, structural damage, and deterioration of materials.

5. Can any surface be waterproofed?

Yes, most surfaces can be waterproofed. However, the effectiveness and durability of the waterproofing may vary depending on the surface material, condition, and the type of waterproofing method used.