Calculating Required Torque for Rotating an Object at 1RPM in 1 Second

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of torque required to rotate an object from 0 to 1RPM in 1 second, with a gear diameter of 30mm, shaft diameter of 10mm, and object weight of 20kg. The formula used is Torque = Force x radius, and the rotational speed is calculated to be 6.28 rad/sec. The speaker is seeking help and guidance as they are new to this topic and mainly following online examples.
PC22
Hi I am trying to work out the torque required to rotate an object from 0 to 1RPM in 1 second (1 second accelerate to 1RMP) , its working in time laps so very small movement is required.

The diameter of the gear is 30mm and the diameter of the shaft is 10mm, the object on top weights 20kg it's sitting on a low friction bearing.

So far I have

Torque = F x r

r = radius of the cylinder = 0.005

Force = mass x acceleration
where mass = 20kg

accel = velocity/time

velocity = r x ω (rotational speed)

where ω at 1RPM = 6.28 rad/sec

So v = 0.005 x 6.28 = 0.0314 m/s

Therefore accel = 0.0314/t

Therefore T = 12 x 0.031/t x 0.005
= 0.186/t Nm

I know there is a lot more to this but I am very new to this and out of my comfort zone in terms of engineering knowledge (I'm a product designer) , I've mainly been following pre worked examples I've found online. Would really appreciate some help and guidance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Seems like you got the correct answer, So what's the problem?

1. What is required torque on a motor?

The required torque on a motor refers to the amount of rotational force that the motor needs to produce in order to perform a specific task. It is typically measured in units of Newton-meters (Nm) or pound-feet (lb-ft).

2. How is required torque calculated?

The required torque on a motor can be calculated by multiplying the force required to perform the task by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. This can be represented by the equation: Torque = Force x Distance.

3. What factors affect the required torque on a motor?

The required torque on a motor can be affected by various factors such as the weight of the load being moved, the speed at which the motor needs to rotate, the efficiency of the motor, and the type of motor being used (e.g. DC motor, AC motor, etc.).

4. Why is it important to determine the required torque on a motor?

Determining the required torque on a motor is important because it ensures that the motor is capable of performing the desired task without overheating or burning out. It also helps in selecting the appropriate motor for the specific application, ensuring efficient and safe operation.

5. How can the required torque on a motor be adjusted?

The required torque on a motor can be adjusted by changing the load or the speed at which the motor needs to operate. It can also be adjusted by changing the gearing ratio or by using a motor with a higher or lower torque rating, depending on the specific application and requirements.