Leakage Rate Units - Understanding the Basics

In summary, the conversation discussed different ways to describe leak rate, specifically in terms of pressure, volume, and time. The ideal gas law was mentioned as a way to calculate leakage rate, and it was concluded that the pressure drop can be converted to a leak rate by multiplying it with the inner volume and dividing by the measurement time. It was also emphasized to pay attention to the units of pressure for proper conversion.
Runei
Hello,

At my work I'm working with testing the leakage rate of a gas system, and right now I am trying to gain some understanding of it all. However, there are some things which are very confusing to me, in regards to these rates.

Searching the internet I find several different ways to describe the leak rate, some of mL/min and some are mbar*mL/min.

To me, the first one seems to only be usable in systems with incompressible liquids, and the second is usable in systems using gas.

My intuition so far tells me that using the ideal gas law, the change in pressure over time (due to leakage) will be equal to

[itex]\Delta p \cdot V = \Delta n RT[/itex]

The temperature can be approximated to be constant, and the volume of the system is constant (its an aluminium gas string with valves and such).

Using this, we correct leakage rate units would be

[itex]\frac{\left[p\right]\left[V\right]}{\left[t\right]}[/itex]

Is this all there is to the story, or is there something I am missing?

Thank you,

Engineering news on Phys.org
All leak rate units consist of three components:

1) Pressure (mbar, atm or Pa)
2) Volume (l, cc or m³)
3) Time (s or m).

from that you can see a leak rate is two possible scenarios
-a changing volume (2) in a given time (3) at a certain pressure (1)
-a changing pressure (1) in a given time (3) at a certain volume (2).

so your scenario is the second one.

The pressure drop can be converted to a leak rate by multiplying the pressure drop with the inner volume of the part and by then dividing the result by the measurement time needed for the pressure drop.

which is the same as your equation

so you got it.

just make sure you look at the pressure units, for proper conversion. for example a pascal is
Newton per square meter. a bar is 100,000 Pa

Last edited:
Likes Runei

1. What are leakage rate units?

Leakage rate units are units of measurement used to quantify the amount of fluid or gas that is lost or leaked from a system over a specific period of time. They are typically expressed in units of volume per time, such as milliliters per minute or cubic feet per hour.

2. Why is understanding leakage rate units important?

Understanding leakage rate units is important for accurately assessing and monitoring the performance of systems that handle fluids or gases. It allows scientists and engineers to identify and address potential leaks, which can impact the safety, efficiency, and cost-effectiveness of a system.

3. What are some common leakage rate units?

Some common leakage rate units include milliliters per minute (mL/min), liters per hour (L/hr), cubic centimeters per second (cc/s), and cubic feet per minute (cfm). The specific unit used will depend on the type of system and the desired level of precision.

4. How do I convert between different leakage rate units?

To convert between different leakage rate units, you can use conversion factors or online conversion calculators. It is important to ensure that the units being converted are consistent and to double-check your calculations to avoid errors.

5. What factors can affect the leakage rate of a system?

The leakage rate of a system can be affected by a variety of factors, including the type and condition of the system's components, the pressure and temperature of the fluid or gas being handled, and the quality of the system's seals and connections. It is important to consider these factors when assessing and managing leakage rates.