Elevating my Understanding of Electrical Engineering

In summary, a computer programmer is looking for a well-written book on Electrical/Mechanical Engineering that focuses on the why behind processes, has practical use, and explains in-depth how to build custom radio transmitters and receivers. ARRL Radio Amateur's Handbook is recommended as a good source for understanding the basics and analyzing circuits. The individual must determine if their interest is from a hobby side or designing circuits from scratch, and it is important to have a strong understanding of Engineering basics such as math and models.
Alec049
Hello PhysicsForum's,
Over the last couple months I've been studying electrical engineering and I think I have pretty good grasp of the basics. I am a computer programmer so dealing with math and logical problems are not foreign to me, however, I've hit a road block. I realize now that I can't learn Electrical Engineering the same way I learned programming. I need a well written book. So, I was wondering if any of you could recommend me a book on Electrical/Mechanical Engineering.

I'm looking for a book that:
*Focuses heavily on the why the processes described works.
*Has some real practical use and isn't just for beginners or idiots.
*Explains in-depth on how to build custom radio transmitters and receivers, and explains why they work.
*Does not focus on things such as fixing household electronics.

As I said before, I'm a computer programmer and I'd really like to merge my understanding for software with the hardware side of things. I believe this could many doors for me, and I really appreciate any help I get.Thanks,
Alec

Engineering news on Phys.org
ARRL Radio Amateur's Handbook gets my vote.

jim hardy said:
ARRL Radio Amateur's Handbook gets my vote.
Alright awesome, thanks Jim, I'm on my way to the library now to see if I can find a copy of it.

I would say if you are truly interested in learning the engineering side to the extent of understanding the why a circuit works, you need to start with the basics of Electrical Engineering. You should find the book used in an intro to Electrical Engineering so you might begin to understand how to analyze a circuit.

I agree that Jim has given you a suggestion of a good source to understand from a high level and some very basic "hobby" electronics information. You will need to determine if your interest in learning is from a hobby side where you will only construct and use information that others design, or if you want to design a circuit from the ground up and know why all the items are used.

Engineering is mainly about the understanding of how to analyze with the math behind and the models utilized. So as is hinted at above by others, if you understand the Engineering basics (the models and math), then continue with the Engineering text.

In my opinion.
mitch

1. What is the importance of elevating my understanding of electrical engineering?

Elevating your understanding of electrical engineering is important because it allows you to gain a deeper knowledge and mastery of the principles and concepts that govern the field. This can lead to increased job opportunities, higher salaries, and the ability to tackle more complex projects.

2. How can I improve my understanding of electrical engineering?

There are several ways to improve your understanding of electrical engineering. Some effective methods include taking courses or workshops, reading books and articles by experts in the field, practicing problem-solving and critical thinking skills, and seeking mentorship or guidance from experienced professionals.

3. What are some key topics or areas that I should focus on when elevating my understanding of electrical engineering?

Some key topics and areas to focus on when elevating your understanding of electrical engineering include circuit analysis, digital systems, signal processing, control systems, power systems, and electronics. It is also important to have a strong foundation in mathematics and physics.

4. How can I apply my understanding of electrical engineering in real-world scenarios?

Electrical engineering is a highly practical and versatile field, and there are countless ways to apply your understanding in real-world scenarios. Some examples include designing and optimizing electrical systems, developing new technologies, and solving complex problems related to energy, communication, and automation.

5. Are there any resources or tools that can aid in elevating my understanding of electrical engineering?

There are many resources and tools available to aid in elevating your understanding of electrical engineering. These include textbooks, online courses, simulation software, laboratory equipment, and professional organizations. It is also beneficial to attend conferences and workshops to stay updated on the latest developments in the field.