What is the Unsolved Mystery of the ADP-ATP Cycle?

• Thread starter annelisse
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mystery
In summary, the conversation discusses a mystery surrounding the creation and use of energy, specifically in the cycle of ADP to ATP. The speaker had read an article mentioning a step in the cycle that is impossible, which they do not remember from high school. They are currently searching for more information on this detail and are unsure of which topic to post their question under.
annelisse
Hello,
I read an article a long time ago and it mentioned a mystery in how we create and use energy. It listed the cycle of ADP to ATP, all the steps, but for one of those steps it said something like in practice this happens much faster than what we know to actually be possible.

This stood out to me because I remember this cycle from high school being like a basic thing to memorize, and did not at all remember that one of the steps was impossible.

Now I'm searching for this detail again, but every explanation of ADP-ATP on the web I've found so far reads like how I remember it from high school. Anyone have any idea what that mysterious step is? I keep searching and nothing yet.

Also I'm not sure what topic to post this under...
Thank you!

Biology news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

What is ADP-ATP Unsolved Mystery?

ADP-ATP Unsolved Mystery refers to the scientific question of how ATP, a molecule responsible for providing energy in cells, is formed from ADP. This process, known as phosphorylation, is not fully understood by scientists.

Why is this mystery important?

This mystery is important because ATP is crucial for many cellular processes such as muscle contraction, nerve signaling, and biochemical reactions. Understanding how it is formed from ADP can provide insights into these processes and potentially lead to new medical treatments.

What are some proposed theories on how ATP is formed from ADP?

One theory suggests that the enzyme ATP synthase is responsible for attaching a phosphate group to ADP to form ATP. Another theory proposes that a high-energy intermediate molecule, such as phosphoenolpyruvate, is involved in the process.

What evidence supports these theories?

Studies have shown that ATP synthase is present in cells and plays a role in ATP formation. Additionally, experiments have demonstrated that phosphoenolpyruvate can be converted into ATP in the presence of enzymes and other molecules found in cells.

What challenges are faced in solving this mystery?

One challenge is that the process of ATP formation is complex and involves multiple steps and molecules. Another challenge is that this process can vary in different types of cells and under different conditions, making it difficult to pinpoint a single mechanism for all scenarios.