Register to reply

Stellar structure equations in Matlab?

by ctcah
Tags: equations, matlab, stellar, structure
Share this thread:
ctcah
Apr22-14, 07:56 PM
P: 3
Does anyone have a Matlab file for solving the stellar structure equations that they wouldn't mind passing along? I'm trying to settle an argument with a friend that they can't really be used to describe nuetron stars and I don't have much programming experience.

Thanks,

Alex
Phys.Org News Partner Astronomy news on Phys.org
Mixing in star-forming clouds explains why sibling stars look alike
Thermonuclear X-ray bursts on neutron stars set speed record
How can we find tiny particles in exoplanet atmospheres?
SteamKing
Apr22-14, 08:17 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 6,547
Quote Quote by ctcah View Post
Does anyone have a Matlab file for solving the stellar structure equations that they wouldn't mind passing along? I'm trying to settle an argument with a friend that they can't really be used to describe nuetron stars and I don't have much programming experience.

Thanks,

Alex
It's not clear how a Matlab file is going to settle your argument. If your friend doesn't understand how the structure of a neutron star differs from that of a conventional star, I don't think he will be swayed by the file.
ctcah
Apr22-14, 08:27 PM
Quote Quote by SteamKing View Post
It's not clear how a Matlab file is going to settle your argument. If your friend doesn't understand how the structure of a neutron star differs from that of a conventional star, I don't think he will be swayed by the file.
I just want something that can be used to give a numerical value for a given set of conditions and see how it differs from reality.

Matterwave
Apr22-14, 08:46 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,847
Stellar structure equations in Matlab?

How do you plan on applying the stellar structure equations to a neutron star though? It's not like a neutron star has all the same input terms as a regular star, but a different result arises due to different physics. The input terms would all (almost all) be different. If you modify the equations enough, you might as well just model a neutron star. I don't see how a matlab file is going to help in this case either...
ctcah
Apr22-14, 08:53 PM
Nevermind, forget I asked anything.
CommandoCody
Aug4-14, 12:28 PM
P: 1
You can write code for a "cold" neutron star. Take a look at the paper, "Astrophysical APL - Diamonds in the Sky," hosted at http://nicmosis.as.arizona.edu:8000/...DWARF_TOTV.pdf. Although the paper is for a "cold" white dwarf, you'll need to use the equation of state for a degenerate neutron gas instead of a degenerate electron gas. An additional paper to loock at is "Structure of neutron stars with unified equations of state" hosted at http://arxiv.org/abs/1206.6922.

Hope this helps.

Register to reply