Can you help me with building air pressure

In summary, The building's draft from the exterior doors is causing comfort issues in the summer and winter and also causes issues during the fall when leaves continuously blow in. The interior temperature is balanced when the HVAC system or fan is running, but if the system is cut off for any extended period of time (2-3) hours we have 8-15 degree differences within the HVAC zones. In summary, The building's draft from the exterior doors is causing comfort issues in the summer and winter and also causes issues during the fall when leaves continuously blow in. The interior temperature is balanced when the HVAC system or fan is running, but if the system is cut off for any extended period of time (2
seththel
I am a property manager and I have a building that is 1 story, with about 20ft of space from the drop ceiling to the roof. I have two exterior doors that when opened, cause a major draft of air blowing in from the outside. This causes comfort issues in the summer and winter and then also causes issues during the fall when leaves continuously blow in. Another note that may be helpful is the interior temperature is balanced when the HVAC system or fan is running, but if the system is cut off for any extended period of time (2-3) hours we have 8-15 degree differences within the HVAC zones.

Would anyone have any ideas to help me fix these issues?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
Install revolving doors or add a lobby area.

So, I'm no HVAC pro, and you really should talk to one to get a solution to this problem, especially because a lot depends on the exact configuration and purpose of your building. But here's my 2 cents.

Your building probably has various things trying to push air out of the building. Some of these are fans attached to various appliances, and your HVAC's exhaust fan. But it's also likely that the "stack effect" is in play.

To counteract these things, you need to have a way for air to reenter your building. In fact, you do -- your HVAC has an intake somewhere, and you may have other vents. The problem is that for whatever reason, the intake isn't sufficient to compensate for the exhaust. You need to fix that, either by allowing more intake or restricting the exhaust.

The first thing to look at is the dampers on your HVAC system. If they are manually operated, you could try to just open the damper on the air intake until the problem goes away. Of course, this will increase the rate of airflow through your building. If you want the flow to stay the same, you will have to simultaneously open the supply damper and close the exhaust damper. If the dampers are automatically operated you should talk to the HVAC people and see if they can be reconfigured. You could also increase the speed of the supply fan or decrease the speed of the exhaust fan.

If that doesn't help (or doesn't help enough), check whether your supply duct is leaking to the outside of the building. If you fix those leaks, you will increase the efficiency of the supply. If you can't find any leaks, you may need to put in a new supply vent to increase the supply, or, if the problem is that there is too much exhaust, try to patch whatever leak exists.

Hire a balancer to measure the air going into and out of the building via HVAC system fans and if necessary an engineer to interpret the results. Clearly, air going in the door means you have more exhaust than outside air intake. For an office building, it probably means constant volume bathroom exhaust fans are on all the time and your office HVAC is either not on all the time or has insufficient outside-air intake. Very common problem.

I would recommend looking into ways to improve the insulation and sealing of the building. This could include adding weather stripping to the exterior doors, caulking any gaps or cracks in the walls or windows, and possibly adding insulation to the ceiling or walls if needed. Additionally, installing a vestibule or airlock at the entrance of the building could help prevent drafts from entering when the doors are opened. It may also be beneficial to have an HVAC professional assess the system and make any necessary adjustments to improve temperature control and efficiency. Finally, implementing regular maintenance and inspections of the building's HVAC and insulation systems can help identify and address any potential issues before they become major problems.

1. What is air pressure and why is it important?

Air pressure is the force exerted by the weight of air molecules in a given area. It is important because it affects the weather, the flight of airplanes, and the functioning of many everyday objects like tires and balloons.

2. How can I increase air pressure in a closed container?

To increase air pressure in a closed container, you can either decrease the volume of the container or increase the number of air molecules inside. This can be done by compressing the air using a pump or by heating the air, which causes the molecules to move faster and collide more frequently, thereby increasing the pressure.

3. What are some examples of devices that rely on air pressure?

Some examples of devices that rely on air pressure include tires, air compressors, vacuum cleaners, and hydraulic systems. Air pressure is also used in scuba diving equipment and in the functioning of musical instruments like the clarinet and saxophone.

4. How does air pressure change with altitude?

The higher you go in altitude, the lower the air pressure becomes. This is because as you move higher, there are fewer air molecules above you, resulting in less weight and therefore less force exerted by the air. This is why it is harder to breathe at high altitudes.

5. Can air pressure be measured?

Yes, air pressure can be measured using a device called a barometer. There are two types of barometers: mercury and aneroid. Mercury barometers use the height of a column of mercury to measure air pressure, while aneroid barometers use a flexible metal chamber to detect changes in air pressure. Both types of barometers are commonly used in weather forecasting.