Visualizing Forces in equilibrium

by ----md
Tags: equilibrium, forces, visualizing
Share this thread:
----md
Apr25-14, 07:44 PM
P: 4
Hi,

I am studying for the MCATs, and currently going through physics. Sadly its my weakest area :(
For the last three weeks I am stuck on conservative/non-conservative forces. The problem seems to be that I keep missing important associated forces on a system.
For example:
I got stuck with problem 62 and 42 here: http://www.astro.queensu.ca/~tjb/hw/P10706/hw6.pdf

The problem? for 42- I simply didnt include the F of the engine in the free diagram- and all other forces canceled out.
For 62: I assumed that for the skier to be able to continue straight the final KE just has to be greater than the Centripetal force. Skipped over the fact that I can just make mg= mv^2/r and then solve the work energy equation. I had a couple of similar "ahh" moments with other force problems.

Soooo- Any tips for specific exercises/problems/ approaches to make sure that I don't miss key aspects of the system??
Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Engineers develop new sensor to detect tiny individual nanoparticles
Tiny particles have big potential in debate over nuclear proliferation
Ray tracing and beyond

Register to reply