Register to reply

No more fossil fuels!

by Manraj singh
Tags: fossil, fuels
Share this thread:
Manraj singh
Apr26-14, 12:13 PM
P: 65
My teacher says in a couple of hundred years we are going to run out of fossil fuels. What then? I am pretty sure we will manage to make artificial fuels, wont we? Is that possible? The main Concern is plains, they wont be able to run on electricity. I am pretty sure we will have electricity. So, even if we do run out of them and cant make them again, we will still be able to function well as we have electricity, right?
Phys.Org News Partner Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Astronuc
Apr26-14, 01:03 PM
Admin
P: 21,915
Quote Quote by Manraj singh View Post
My teacher says in a couple of hundred years we are going to run out of fossil fuels. What then? I am pretty sure we will manage to make artificial fuels, wont we? Is that possible? The main Concern is plains, they wont be able to run on electricity. I am pretty sure we will have electricity. So, even if we do run out of them and cant make them again, we will still be able to function well as we have electricity, right?
It is being addressed: http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=749219

Search for Fischer-Tropsch Synthesis.
SteamKing
Apr26-14, 02:14 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 6,750
If you mean planes, yeah, they could be a problem. If you mean plains, they'll still be just sitting there.

nsaspook
Apr26-14, 03:01 PM
P: 663
No more fossil fuels!

In a couple of hundred years we could get all we want from Titan.
http://www.universetoday.com/12800/t...ns-than-earth/
DrDu
Apr27-14, 06:11 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,633
My teacher says in a couple of hundred years we are going to run out of fossil fuels. What then?
If you are optimistic, this might lead to the disappearance of cars.
Romulo Binuya
Apr27-14, 07:56 AM
P: 69
Fossil fuels are oil, gas, and coal. The Worldometers says world oil reserve will run out in about 40 years.

Scientists and technicians are making progress in developing and harnessing renewable energy sources especially solar energy which are literally falling on our heads. I've seen on tv that France is using molten salt that enable their solar power plant to still operate when the sun is out.

And most of all, I wish Allen J. Bard succeed in his endeavor about harnessing solar power. ”Bard’s current research focuses on harnessing the power of natural sunlight to produce sustainable energy. His lab at the University of Texas tests different chemical compounds in the hopes of discovering a material that will carry out artificial photosynthesis. Bard feels strongly that such discoveries must be sought and made because otherwise humanity will be in deep trouble as fossil fuels run out.” http://bard.cm.utexas.edu/
Manraj singh
Apr27-14, 11:00 AM
P: 65
We can only wait and see for what future holds for us. Lets hope its good!
Romulo Binuya
Apr29-14, 12:48 AM
P: 69
We must stay in school and participate in the research whenever possible. Fossil fuels are technically ancient sunlight that was stored through photosynthesis. And plant leaves are harnessing solar energy more than scientists can explain the process. Achieving synthetic photosynthesis will require more than chemistry... I guess the endeavor will require quantum mechanics and nanotechnology among other branch of science.

edit addendum: fascinating, I found this link a while ago through my email
http://www.isgtw.org/feature/nature’...neling-enzymes
DHF
May15-14, 12:41 PM
P: 66
Quote Quote by nsaspook View Post
In a couple of hundred years we could get all we want from Titan.
http://www.universetoday.com/12800/t...ns-than-earth/
I dont know if that will ever be practical. Even with advances in space flight. it would still take more energy getting the fuel then we would get from the fuel itself.
mheslep
May15-14, 08:27 PM
PF Gold
P: 3,103
... The main Concern is plains, they wont be able to run on electricity....
Don't be so sure. The only transportation that absolutely can not be pure electric is rocketry outside the atmosphere.

EADS/Rolls-Royce distributed electric propulsion concept

DrDu
May16-14, 01:20 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,633
Quote Quote by Romulo Binuya View Post
And plant leaves are harnessing solar energy more than scientists can explain the process.
Note that Michel, who won the Nobel prize for his research on photosynthesis calls biofuels nonsense due to the low overall efficiency of biofuels:
http://climatesanity.wordpress.com/2...-are-nonsense/
mheslep
May16-14, 10:04 AM
PF Gold
P: 3,103
Quote Quote by DrDu View Post
Note that Michel, who won the Nobel prize for his research on photosynthesis calls biofuels nonsense due to the low overall efficiency of biofuels:
http://climatesanity.wordpress.com/2...-are-nonsense/
Some good points but this argument sounds weak:

Quote Quote by Michel
“Microalgae have been advertised as the ideal candidates for biofuel production. There are many unsupported claims about their efficiency, some even exceeding the theoretical limits of photosynthetic efficiency…the existence of photoinhibition and a poor RuBisCO will limit the advantages of microalgae together with the demands for growing and harvesting them.”
The criticism is that biofuel is hyped? So what? The photosynthetic efficiency, by itself, is really irrelevant. What matters is, given a particular efficiency, is the particular biofuel process economic? I don't see Michel stating that it is impossible for biofuel to ever cost less than, say, $100/gallon.

And these microbe approaches don't necessarily require arable land, pesticides, etc.
Algr
May18-14, 01:32 AM
P: 160
Electric airplanes do exist - they are a niche market currently, (trainers) but slowly gaining ground.
There are several solutions for air travel in a post-fossil fuel world:
- Better electric planes. A solution to the battery problem will change the world.
- Beamed energy from the ground. A plane could be charged in flight, using batteries only for takeoff, landing, and gaps between beams.
- Biofuels: As others have mentioned.
- Genetically modified giant ducks.
czelaya
May18-14, 02:05 AM
P: 72
There will always be fossil fuels. There will be a point were the cost to extract fossil fuels will exceed some economic and energy cost that will not be viable to extract and process the fuel.
thankz
May18-14, 03:29 AM
P: 74
the answer is population management but nobody likes that answer, 15 billion people and no food will force change.
DHF
May18-14, 07:42 AM
P: 66
Quote Quote by Algr View Post
Electric airplanes do exist - they are a niche market currently, (trainers) but slowly gaining ground.
There are several solutions for air travel in a post-fossil fuel world:
- Better electric planes. A solution to the battery problem will change the world.
- Beamed energy from the ground. A plane could be charged in flight, using batteries only for takeoff, landing, and gaps between beams.
- Biofuels: As others have mentioned.
- Genetically modified giant ducks.
Sci Fi writers love to scare us with visions of a post singularity world whee AI rules the planet, but personally the future I fear is the post fosil fuel era in which desperate genetic experiments have run amok and we all live in fear of our giant Avian Overlords.
Algr
May18-14, 01:42 PM
P: 160
Quote Quote by czelaya View Post
There will always be fossil fuels. There will be a point were the cost to extract fossil fuels will exceed some economic and energy cost that will not be viable to extract and process the fuel.
True, but it comes down to the same thing - fossil fuels will become a niche restricted to applications where they can't be replaced. Oil at too high a price will become worthless - it isn't like gold where it is prized for it's beauty.
phinds
May18-14, 02:41 PM
PF Gold
P: 6,509
Quote Quote by thankz View Post
the answer is population management but nobody likes that answer, 15 billion people and no food will force change.
And what is it that makes you think there will be no food? This sounds like an unsupportable personal theory.

Register to reply