Register to reply

Time-Scaling vs Frequency Shift

by JustStudying
Tags: frequency, shift, timescaling
Share this thread:
JustStudying
Apr27-14, 02:01 AM
P: 27
I'm learning about properties of fourier transforms at the moment, and I've come across 2 terms "time-scaling" and frequency shift.

A quick google search of time-scaling suggests that it is when I make the period of my signal longer (i.e a sine wave would take longer to finish 1 cycle)

but no results seem to come up for frequency shift
- but the name seems to imply changing the frequency of the signal - but isn't that time-scaling?!

thanks again!
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Fair cake cutting gets its own algorithm
Effort to model Facebook yields key to famous math problem (and a prize)
jbunniii
Apr27-14, 12:39 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,166
A frequency shift means that the frequency components of the function have all been "shifted" (increased or decreased) by the same offset. So for example, if ##f(x) = \sin(\omega_1 x) + \sin(\omega_2 x)##, then if we add an offset ##\omega_0## to both ##\omega_1## and ##\omega_2##, we obtain a frequency-shifted version: ##g(x) = \sin((\omega_1 + \omega_0)x) + \sin((\omega_2 + \omega_0)x)##.

In general, this is NOT equivalent to time-scaling. However, in the special case of a function with a single frequency component, the two notions are equivalent. For example, if ##f(x) = \sin(\omega x)## and we shift the frequency by an offset of ##\omega_0##, the result is ##g(x) = \sin((\omega + \omega_0) x)##. If we define
$$c = \frac{\omega + \omega_0}{\omega} = 1 + \frac{\omega_0}{\omega}$$
then we may equivalently write ##g(x) = \sin(\omega cx)##, which is just ##f(cx)##, i.e., a time scaled version of ##f##.

But as you can see from the example with two frequency components in the first paragraph, the two notions are not generally equivalent. If we time scale ##f(x) = \sin(\omega_1 x) + \sin(\omega_2 x)## to obtain ##f(cx) = \sin(\omega_1 cx) + \sin(\omega_2 cx)##, then we still have two frequency components, but the frequencies are now separated by ##c(\omega_2 - \omega_1)## whereas they were originally separated by ##\omega_2 - \omega_1##. Compare this with the frequency shifted version, where the separation remains the same: ##(\omega_2 + \omega_0) - (\omega_1 + \omega_0) = \omega_2 - \omega_1##.

Register to reply