by mah65
Tags: chain, observation, polymer, single
Share this thread:
mah65
Apr30-14, 05:30 AM
P: 24
Hi,

I have a question regarding polymers.
You know that polymers, basically, consist of chains of polymers, each chain including number of repeating units (monomer). These chains can be in amorphous or crystalline states.

Experimentally, is it possible to fabricate and see a single chain of a polymer using microscope (any kind of microscope)?
Or, is it possible to separate a single chain out of the polymer and observe it?

Thank you
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Student develops filter for clean water around the world
Developing the next evolution in underwater communication
jreeder
Apr30-14, 11:25 AM
P: 1
You can do time of flight MALDI to determine the mass of single polymer chains.
Chestermiller
Apr30-14, 01:09 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks ∞
PF Gold
P: 5,045
Quote Quote by mah65 View Post
Hi,

I have a question regarding polymers.
You know that polymers, basically, consist of chains of polymers, each chain including number of repeating units (monomer). These chains can be in amorphous or crystalline states.

Experimentally, is it possible to fabricate and see a single chain of a polymer using microscope (any kind of microscope)?
Or, is it possible to separate a single chain out of the polymer and observe it?

Thank you
I think I remember seeing a paper in either Nature or Science from many years ago (>20) where this had already been done.

Chet

mah65
May1-14, 12:11 AM
P: 24
Observation of a single polymer chain

Thank you.

If published in Nature or Science, it implies to be an important issue. Could give me the exact information or link of this paper?
Klar5566
May23-14, 05:14 PM
P: 3
probably using AFM you can try to goole it

Register to reply