Looking for a specific material

In summary, the student is looking for a material that is comfortable to sit on and can vibrate. He has been unsuccessful finding this information online, and is looking for help from others.
eedstrom
Hi,

I am a student looking for a material for a project at school. I am currently studying mechanical engineering so the chemistry and materials aspect is a bit over my head.

We're working on a concept to develop a more ergonomic chair and would like to find a material that would be comfortable to sit on.

My vision would be a bunch of gel-like spheres that could be electrically stimulated and move around due to a current passed over them. Also maybe create heat as a by product. Basically a comfortable thing to sit on that would be able to vibrate a bit.

I've been trying to find stuff online but my limited knowledge of gears and beams isn't helping too much.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Comfort comes from avoiding points of high pressure. That can be achieved by using a fluid in a shaped bag or cushion since it will distribute the load more evenly.

If the fluid was your gel-like spheres then it should be free to flow. Unfortunately gel-like spheres will probably not flow well, as they may bed into each other and form clumps. Unless they contain gas bubbles, gels behave more like liquids with a fixed volume, so the only flexibility would come from changing the packing density by distortion of the spheres.

For comfort, cooling is probably more important than heating. Warmth can be achieved by reducing the rate of body heat loss through the seat. Insulation is a better investment than the expenditure of energy. Temperature stabilisation suggests thermal transfer such as airflow through, or of the fluid.

Maybe if the spheres were piezoelectric they could be made to vibrate at an ultrasonic frequency and so flow better. But a single point source of mechanical vibration would be able to overcome static friction between spheres, so there is probably no need for individual spheres to be local generators.

Have you considered a low-tech solution such as a cushion full of jumping beans? To fully evaluate all possibilities you will need a committee to sit on.

eedstrom said:
Hi,

I am a student looking for a material for a project at school. I am currently studying mechanical engineering so the chemistry and materials aspect is a bit over my head.

We're working on a concept to develop a more ergonomic chair and would like to find a material that would be comfortable to sit on.

My vision would be a bunch of gel-like spheres that could be electrically stimulated and move around due to a current passed over them. Also maybe create heat as a by product. Basically a comfortable thing to sit on that would be able to vibrate a bit.

I've been trying to find stuff online but my limited knowledge of gears and beams isn't helping too much.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
One may wish to visit a furniture store, or the website of chair and bed manufacturers. I recently had to buy a mattress, and in the process, I was given a partial course on the underlying support structure of mattresses. The very nice (and expensive) ones had individual coils. Some were much more comfortable (softness at different thickness/depth), and they offered different levels of support/stiffness.

more ergonomic chair
You have listed this as your only criteria for design of the chair, but I ask more ergonomic than what?

There must have been a deficiency in other chair models that you have pinpointed and hence selected as a criteria that your new design will address. By reading your post I have not been able to itemize which major deficiency you are attempting to improve upon. I see the words 'comfortable', 'heat', 'vibrate'. I might then conclude that you are attempting a design for a type of 'massage' chair, to be used for relaxation after work, or perhaps during, though I am unsure if such a conclusion is correct. Envisions of a dentists chair to calm the patient during procedures also comes to mind.

If you are designing from a blank sheet of paper then there are several environments to consider in which chairs are used.
Is it indoor, outdoor, work, home, fixed, mobile, office, warehouse? Other settings could be equally as important.

Funtionality might include other aspects than just the act of sitting in the chair. As an example, a chair that one can take to an outdoor theatre needs to be collapsible for storage, sturdy when unfolded, light to carry by hand, easily cleaned, strong enough to support weight, in addition to being as comfortable as possible. Perhaps adding a drink holder would be an additional feature.

While you do have an idea of what you want to accomplish, you have to go back and refer to, or make a list criteria for the design, and check off which ones are satisfied and modify the prototype of those which are not. Along the way criteria will change, some will be added and others removed. Design is a feedback loop on itself.

Anyways, here is a long list of definitions of ergonomics.
http://www.hfes.org/Web/EducationalResources/HFEdefinitionsmain.html

Hope this helps.

Hi there,

As a fellow scientist, I am happy to assist you in your search for a material for your project. It sounds like you are looking for a material that is both comfortable to sit on and has the ability to vibrate and create heat. While I am not familiar with the exact concept you have described, I can offer some suggestions that may help you in your search.

Firstly, you may want to consider materials that are commonly used in the production of ergonomic chairs, such as memory foam or gel pads. These materials are known for their ability to conform to the body and provide comfort for extended periods of sitting. Additionally, they can be easily manipulated to create a vibrating effect by adding small motors or vibrating mechanisms.

Another possibility is to look into smart materials, such as shape-memory alloys or piezoelectric materials, which have the ability to change shape or produce vibrations when exposed to an electrical current. These materials are often used in the development of advanced technologies and may be suitable for your project.

I would also recommend reaching out to a materials science or engineering professor at your school for further assistance and guidance. They may have more knowledge and resources to help you find the perfect material for your project. Good luck!

1. What is the best method for finding a specific material?

The best method for finding a specific material depends on the type of material you are looking for. Some common methods include searching online databases, visiting local libraries or archives, or contacting experts in the field.

2. How do I determine the properties of a particular material?

The properties of a material can be determined through various tests and experiments. These may include physical tests such as measuring density, hardness, or conductivity, as well as chemical tests to identify elements or compounds present in the material. It is also important to consult scientific literature and resources to gather information about a material's properties.

3. Can I request a specific material to be synthesized or created?

Yes, it is possible to request a specific material to be synthesized or created. This can be done through collaboration with other scientists or by contacting specialized laboratories that offer custom material synthesis services.

4. What is the most reliable source for obtaining a specific material?

The most reliable source for obtaining a specific material depends on the material itself and its intended use. Some common sources include reputable suppliers, research institutions, and government agencies. It is important to thoroughly research and evaluate the source before obtaining any material.

5. How do I properly store and handle a specific material?

The storage and handling of a specific material should be done according to its properties and potential hazards. It is important to consult safety data sheets and follow proper handling procedures recommended by experts or the material's manufacturer. Proper storage conditions, such as temperature and humidity, should also be considered to ensure the material remains stable and usable.