Register to reply

Heat Exchange Formula Needed

by Liljob
Tags: exchange, formula, heat
Share this thread:
Liljob
May1-14, 03:55 PM
P: 2
I have a heat exchanger for a boiler flue. The flue is connected to two big (150 HP) boilers. A boiler HP = 33,000 BTUH. The are less than 80% efficient.

The heat exchanger problem is this:

The Flue contains gas temps above 300 F. The CFM is problematic but apparently the actual CFM could be increased by a factor of 4 or more due to the oxygen and moisture content of the flue gases. In any case the ambient temp in the flue is a near 300 F when the boiler(s) are operating.

The heat exchanger is made of 304 Stainless. It's a 1" tube with 7 fins per inch and the fins are .5" high. The length of the tubing is 360" and it is configured in a coil 30" in diameter. There are 95 square feet of surface area on the heat exchanger due to the fins.

The design entering water into the tube is 80 F and leaving 90 F.

So I have a 300 F heat source (steady) and I want a 10 F dT with a flow rate of 15 GPM. ( I can't get much more flow into a 1" pipe.)

I want to pick up 250,000 BTUH from this configuration and I am not adept at the Q= U*A*LMTD calcs to put this together.

Further, if it makes sense to do so, I would like to increase the Pipe size to 2" and put 40 GPM through this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Comfortable climate indoors with porous glass
Crash-testing rivets
Customized surface inspection
Greg Bernhardt
May4-14, 10:17 PM
Admin
P: 9,334
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?
Liljob
May5-14, 09:21 AM
P: 2
Thanks, Greg,

Let me revisit this and I'll get back to you.

Register to reply