Understanding Inertia Tensor Scaling in CAD Models - Explained

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of scaling the inertia tensor of a model obtained from CAD software. The participants mention that the inertia tensor scales linearly with the mass of the model, but there is uncertainty about how it would scale if the model is scaled to half its size. The correct scaling factor is determined to be 1/4*1/8 of the original inertia tensor. The conversation ends with a confirmation that this scaling factor holds true if the mass distribution of the model remains constant.
alexanderBuzz
Hi everyone,

I have the following problem in my hands, which I don't know how exactly to address.

Let's assume that from any CAD(Solidworks, Catia), I obtain the inertia tensor of my model (impossible to calculate by hand btw).

I_full=[Ixx Ixy Ixz
Ixy Iyy Iyz
Ixz Iyz Izz]

I know if I change the mass of my model, the inertia tensor will scale linearly with it.

But what If I scale my model to half-size, all dimensions? The mass probably goes by 1/8, since it's proportional to volume. Maybe the other factor would be 1/4 (α r^2).

So would the correct Inertia scaling factor be?:

I_half=1/4*1/8*I_full

Cheers!

Engineering news on Phys.org
UltrafastPED said:
It must vary jointly with the mass and the distribution; for example consider how the simple inertia of a thick rod changes under your conditions: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mi2.html
Thanks you!

It proves my derivation, if assumed constant density between the scaled object and full-size object.

by definition:

[tex]I=\int_V \rho r^2 dV[/tex]

if r1-> ar ( scaled by a factor a) dV1->a^3dV

replacing on the above equation:
[tex] I1=\int_V \rho a^2 r^2 a^3 dV = a^5 \int_V \rho r^2 dV -> I1=a^5 I[/tex]

again, assuming that the mass distribution remains constant.

Correct?

Last edited:

1. What is Scaling Inertia Tensor?

Scaling Inertia Tensor is a mathematical representation of the distribution of mass and its resistance to changes in rotational motion. It is used to describe the rotational inertia of an object as it moves through space.

2. How is Scaling Inertia Tensor calculated?

The Scaling Inertia Tensor is calculated by multiplying the mass of each component of an object by its distance from the axis of rotation and squaring it. This calculation is performed in three dimensions to account for all possible axes of rotation.

3. What is the significance of Scaling Inertia Tensor?

The Scaling Inertia Tensor is important in understanding the behavior of objects as they rotate. It allows scientists to predict the rotational behavior of an object and is crucial in fields such as physics, engineering, and robotics.

4. How does Scaling Inertia Tensor differ from Moment of Inertia?

Scaling Inertia Tensor is a more general term that encompasses Moment of Inertia. The Moment of Inertia is a specific calculation of the Scaling Inertia Tensor in a particular reference frame. The Scaling Inertia Tensor takes into account the orientation of the object in space, while the Moment of Inertia only considers the rotation around a single axis.

5. What factors influence the Scaling Inertia Tensor of an object?

The Scaling Inertia Tensor of an object depends on its mass distribution, shape, and orientation. Objects with a larger mass, longer distances from the axis of rotation, or a more complex shape will have a higher Scaling Inertia Tensor, indicating a greater resistance to changes in rotational motion.