Scaling Intertia Tensor

by alexanderBuzz
Tags: intertia, scaling, tensor
Share this thread:
alexanderBuzz
May2-14, 03:22 AM
P: 2
Hi everyone,

I have the following problem in my hands, which I don't know how exactly to address.

Let's assume that from any CAD(Solidworks, Catia), I obtain the inertia tensor of my model (impossible to calculate by hand btw).

I_full=[Ixx Ixy Ixz
Ixy Iyy Iyz
Ixz Iyz Izz]

I know if I change the mass of my model, the inertia tensor will scale linearly with it.

But what If I scale my model to half-size, all dimensions? The mass probably goes by 1/8, since it's proportional to volume. Maybe the other factor would be 1/4 (α r^2).

So would the correct Inertia scaling factor be?:

I_half=1/4*1/8*I_full

Cheers!!
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Catching grease to cut grill pollution
Researchers develop tool to predict the level of driver discomfort caused by LED lighting
New inexpensive and easy to implement computer software provides real-time and highly accurate data on traffic
UltrafastPED
May2-14, 04:23 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 1,907
It must vary jointly with the mass and the distribution; for example consider how the simple inertia of a thick rod changes under your conditions: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mi2.html
alexanderBuzz
May2-14, 05:01 AM
P: 2
Quote Quote by UltrafastPED View Post
It must vary jointly with the mass and the distribution; for example consider how the simple inertia of a thick rod changes under your conditions: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mi2.html
Thanks you!

It proves my derivation, if assumed constant density between the scaled object and full-size object.

by definition:

[tex]I=\int_V \rho r^2 dV[/tex]

if r1-> ar ( scaled by a factor a) dV1->a^3dV

replacing on the above equation:
[tex] I1=\int_V \rho a^2 r^2 a^3 dV = a^5 \int_V \rho r^2 dV -> I1=a^5 I[/tex]

again, assuming that the mass distribution remains constant.

Correct?

Register to reply