Register to reply

Refrigerator / thermodynamics

by Bengo
Tags: refrigerator, thermodynamics
Share this thread:
Bengo
May2-14, 06:52 AM
P: 44
Why is the boiling point of a refrigerant in a freezer lower than that of a refrigerator. I would think that a freezer needs more heat removed so the the refrigerant needs a higher heat of vaporization thus a higher boiling point. Thank you
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Scientists uncover clues to role of magnetism in iron-based superconductors
Researchers find first direct evidence of 'spin symmetry' in atoms
X-ray laser probes tiny quantum tornadoes in superfluid droplets
adjacent
May2-14, 07:13 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,489
Quote Quote by Bengo View Post
Why is the boiling point of a refrigerant in a freezer lower than that of a refrigerator?
Refrigerator?Are you talking about the average boiling point of the refrigerator?
Bengo
May2-14, 07:34 AM
P: 44
In a section about a heat pump my book says the boiling point of the refrigerant used in a freezer is lower than the refrigerant used in an air conditioner or a refrigerator because the temperature in a freezer is lower. It seems like it would be the opposite to me.

jbriggs444
May2-14, 07:49 AM
P: 929
Refrigerator / thermodynamics

Quote Quote by Bengo View Post
In a section about a heat pump my book says the boiling point of the refrigerant used in a freezer is lower than the refrigerant used in an air conditioner or a refrigerator because the temperature in a freezer is lower. It seems like it would be the opposite to me.
You need the refrigerant to boil to exploit the latent heat of vaporization. You need to have this happen when the refrigerant is at a useful working temperature.

A useful working temperature will be one that is lower than that which you are trying to cool.
enorbet
May2-14, 06:39 PM
P: 146
Now you have me curious as to whether temperature of boiling point is the key factor at all. I don't see how intensity is the all-important factor, whereas quantity should be. Shouldn't it be calories or BTUs? Obviously there must be some window of usable temperatures but that will depend mostly upon what you have as a thermal source. Geez, now I need to whisk the cobwebs off my books as well as my memory.

Register to reply