Lowest frequency non-uniform string

In summary, the conversation is about solving a differential equation of the form (1+bx)D''(x)T(t)-D(x)T''(t)=0. The solution approach involves using a trial solution for T(t) and D(x), and then using the principle of superposition to find the general solution. However, there is some confusion with finding the correct trial solution and taking into account the negative value of σ.
Lengalicious

Homework Statement

See attachment (stuck with part b at the moment)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\phi=D(x)T(t)[/tex]
so
[tex](1+bx)D''(x)T(t)-D(x)T''(t)=0[/tex]
[tex](1+bx)\frac{D''(x)}{D(x)}=\frac{T''(t)}{T(t)}[/tex]

let
[tex]\frac{T''}{T}=\sigma[/tex] (1)
use trial solution [tex]T=be^{rt}[/tex]

subbing into (1) and solve for r.
[tex]r=\pm\sqrt{\sigma}[/tex]

use same trial solution and repeat steps for
[tex](1+bx)\frac{D''}{D}=\sigma[/tex]

[tex]r=\pm\sqrt{\frac{\sigma}{1+bx}}[/tex]

from principle of superposition

[tex]D(x)=a_1e^{\sqrt{\frac{\sigma}{1+bx}}x}+a_2e^{-\sqrt{\frac{\sigma}{1+bx}}x}[/tex]

[tex]T(t)=b_1e^{\sqrt{\sigma}t}+b_2e^{-\sqrt{\sigma}t}[/tex]

Then I get confused with boundary conditions can someone let me know if I am on the right lines so far and give me any advice for proceeding?

Thanks

Attachments

• Question.jpg
    Question.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your solution for D is not correct. In particular, since r turned out to be a function of x, your calculation of D'' must take that into consideration. Also, σ turns out to be negative. You must be aware of that when looking for the ansatz solutions.

not really sure I understand, am I correct in using [tex]D=ae^{rx}[/tex] and subbing that into[tex](1+bx)\frac{D''}{D}=\sigma[/tex] to find r? Or is my r incorrect?

EDIT: I see what you mean nevermind..

EDIT: I don't suppose you could give me a hint on how to find the trial solution? I have not come across an ODE in the form of f(x)y''-ay=0, what is this type of differential equation called?

Last edited:

1. What is a lowest frequency non-uniform string?

A lowest frequency non-uniform string is a type of string that has varying thickness and density along its length, resulting in different parts of the string vibrating at different frequencies when plucked or struck.

2. How is the lowest frequency of a non-uniform string determined?

The lowest frequency of a non-uniform string is determined by factors such as the string's thickness, density, and tension. These properties affect the speed at which the wave travels along the string, resulting in different frequencies being produced.

3. What are some examples of instruments that use lowest frequency non-uniform strings?

Some examples of instruments that use lowest frequency non-uniform strings include the sitar, oud, and sarod. These instruments are commonly used in traditional Indian and Middle Eastern music.

4. How does a lowest frequency non-uniform string differ from a uniform string?

A uniform string has a consistent thickness and density throughout its length, resulting in all parts of the string vibrating at the same frequency. In contrast, a lowest frequency non-uniform string has varying thickness and density, resulting in different parts of the string vibrating at different frequencies.

5. What are some practical applications of studying lowest frequency non-uniform strings?

Studying lowest frequency non-uniform strings can provide insights into the physics of sound and acoustics. It can also help in the design and construction of musical instruments to produce specific tones and frequencies. Additionally, understanding non-uniform strings can aid in the development of new technologies, such as acoustic sensors and medical imaging devices.