For every positive integer n there is a unique cyclic group of order n

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of order in a cyclic group and how it relates to subgroups and isomorphism. The last point mentioned implies that there is only one cyclic group of a given order, up to isomorphism. This is because all cyclic groups of the same order are isomorphic to each other.
BomboshMan
Hi,

I can't understand why the statement in the title is true. This is what I know so far that is relevant:

- A subgroup of a cyclic group G = <g> is cyclic and is <g^k> for some nonnegative integer k. If G is finite (say |G|=n) then k can be chosen so that k divides n, and so order of g^k is n/k.

- Let G = <g> be a cyclic group. If g has infinite order, then G is isomorphic to the integers with addition. If o(g) = n, then G is isomorphic to Z/nZ with addition.

And then apparently the last point implies the statement in my title and I have no idea how!

Thanks,

Matt

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not entirely familiar with the standard terminology (or this theorem), so you will have to explain a few things. The order of a group is the cardinality of its underlying set, right? But what do you mean by order of g? Isn't g an element of the group? Was that supposed to be "order of G"? What do you mean by <g>? I would guess that it's the smallest subgroup that has {g} as a subset. What does o(g) mean? Is it "order of g", where "g" actually means G? In that case, I'd say that the "last point" (the sentence that contains o(g)) is just a slightly stronger statement than the one in the thread title, and there's nothing to prove.

I assume that "unique" means "unique up to isomorphism".

I agree with Fredrik that there seems to be nothing to prove, if you already have the quoted fact:
Let G = <g> be a cyclic group. If g has infinite order, then G is isomorphic to the integers with addition. If o(g) = n, then G is isomorphic to Z/nZ with addition.
In other words, up to isomorphism, there is exactly one cyclic group of order ##n##, namely ##\mathbb{Z}/n\mathbb{Z}##.

@Fredrik - you are correct about the meanings of all of the terms, which are all standard usage in group theory:

Order of ##G## = cardinality of the underlying set

##\langle g \rangle## = subgroup generated by ##g## = smallest subgroup of ##G## which contains ##g##. This is always a cyclic group consisting of the elements ##g^n## for all integers ##n##. If the powers are all distinct, then we have an infinite cyclic group, otherwise there is some smallest positive ##n## such that ##g^n## is the identity. In this case, there are ##n## distinct elements and the group is isomorphic to ##\mathbb{Z}/n\mathbb{Z}##.

##o(g)## = order of ##g## = order of ##\langle g \rangle## ("order" is overloaded here, but the meaning is always clear from the context)

Last edited:
What exactly does 'up to isomorhism' mean, and why does this mean there isn't more than one?

It means that there may be infinitely many, but they're all isomorphic to each other.

BomboshMan said:
What exactly does 'up to isomorhism' mean, and why does this mean there isn't more than one?
It means that all cyclic groups of order n are isomorpic to each other.

Ah! That makes sense now. Thanks very much!

1. What is a cyclic group?

A cyclic group is a type of mathematical group that is generated by a single element, called a generator. This means that all the elements in the group can be obtained by repeatedly applying the group's operation to the generator.

2. What does it mean for a cyclic group to have "order n"?

The order of a cyclic group refers to the number of elements in the group. So when we say "order n", it means that the cyclic group has n elements.

3. How is the cyclic group of order n unique?

The cyclic group of order n is unique because it has specific properties that distinguish it from other groups of the same order. For example, all cyclic groups of the same order will have the same number of subgroups and the same number of elements with a given order.

4. Can you give an example of a cyclic group of order n?

One example of a cyclic group of order n is the group of integers modulo n, denoted as Z/nZ. This group has n elements and is generated by the element 1.

5. How is the existence of a cyclic group of order n important in mathematics?

The existence of a cyclic group of order n is important because it provides a structure that can be used to study and understand other mathematical concepts. For example, cyclic groups are often used in number theory, abstract algebra, and cryptography.