Register to reply

Losing vision when concentrating on problem

by mishima
Tags: concentrating, losing, vision
Share this thread:
mishima
May6-14, 11:56 PM
P: 354
I feel stupid mentioning it, but I think this happens to everyone and I'm curious if there is a name for this...sometimes when I'm concentrating on an engaging science problem I will lose awareness of what I'm looking at. I suppose its like a daydream but focused on a problem rather than fantastic.

Is this a working memory thing? I simply don't have enough to hold what I'm looking at and what I'm thinking about simultaneously?
Phys.Org News Partner Medical research news on Phys.org
One care lapse can be fatal for heart attack patients
Breast screening for over 70s doesn't prompt sharp fall in advanced disease
Walking or cycling to work improves wellbeing, researchers find
UltrafastPED
May7-14, 12:52 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 1,911
That's why it is called "losing focus" - the eye takes in much more information than can be processed, so it needs to "focus" on the items of interest; if you lose interest, the eye muscles relax, which results in a "broad field of view", but not focused on anything in particular.

Watch how a cat acquires focus (concentration) when it sees a bird ...

I think it relates to the directives that pass between the working memory and the optical processing system in the optic nerve, etc.
Evo
May7-14, 01:16 AM
Mentor
P: 26,655
Do you just lose concentration, or do you lose vision?

mishima
May7-14, 06:12 AM
P: 354
Losing vision when concentrating on problem

UltrafastPED: Interesting, I didn't realize my eye muscles were relaxing. Id like to see a video of this happening to someone.

Evo: just vision.
Evo
May7-14, 12:50 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by mishima View Post
UltrafastPED: Interesting, I didn't realize my eye muscles were relaxing. Id like to see a video of this happening to someone.

Evo: just vision.
You should see a doctor immediately, losing vision is not normal. We can't diagnose, so I won't even speculate on possible causes. I hope things turn out ok.
Borek
May7-14, 01:24 PM
Admin
P: 23,707
I believe I know the effect from my own experience, my take is that it is related to suppression of saccades. Eye seeing the same image for prolonged period of time stops to see it (compare http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stabilized_images).
Evo
May7-14, 01:50 PM
Mentor
Hopefully it's nothing, but best to get it checked out, I would never assume even partial vision loss is ok unless verified by a doctor.

Register to reply