Question on headset signal levels

In summary, the conversation discusses using a pair of Turtle Beach headsets that require a USB power for the amplifier. The individual wants to know if it is possible to replace the headset with standard earbuds without damaging them. They inquire about measuring the signal with a multimeter and the potential risks of modifying the headset. The conversation also mentions the specifications of the Turtle Beach headset and the importance of using proper connectors when making modifications.
jaydnul
So I have a pair of headsets, turtle beaches, that require a usb power for the amplifier. Now I thought the amplifier was just to combine the two outputs of game audio and chat audio, but do headsets like turtle beaches need a more powerful signal than just headphone level. I ask this because I don't like the turtle beaches, but want to snip the wire between the little amplifier and the actual headset and solder in a pair of standard earbuds, but I wasn't sure if the signal would be too strong and blow my earbuds. Is there any easy way to measure this with a multimeter?

The turtle beach specs are:
Speakers: 50mm diameter speakers with neodymium magnets
Condenser Microphone Frequency 50Hz - 15kHz
Weight: 6.4 oz (233g)
Speaker Frequency 20Hz - 20kHz, >120dB SPL @ 1kHz
Cable length: 16 ft. (4.87m)

Thanks a bunch!

Engineering news on Phys.org
but I wasn't sure if the signal would be too strong and blow my earbuds.
Don't test it next to your ears ;).

Messing around with analog cables can be problematic. If you don't get a proper connection, this can add noise to the signal.
Is there any easy way to measure this with a multimeter?
If you have some very constant sound sorce (sinus tone?) and use the multimeter in AC voltage mode, maybe. Depends on the multimeter.

I had a quick look at the turtle beach website but they don't seem to specify the impedance of their headsets - and you don't need to know anyway if they are hard-wired into their own amplifier.

Most headphones and earbuds had similar impedance (except for some expensive audiophile products) so you are unlikely to damage anything except your hearing (that's a serious warning, not a joke!)

If you want to try this, you would be better getting a connector that matches the plug on the earbuds, rather than trying to solder two pieces of thin flexible cable together without anything to make the joint mechanically stable. The actual soldered joint is usually stronger than the wire, so flexing or pulling on the joint will soon break it at the point where the solder ends. If you use a proper connector, that weak point point is inside the connector where the wire can't flex, and accidentally pulling on the cable just disconnects the plug and socket instead of breaking anything. it also means you don't need to modify the earbuds, so you can use them for something else if you want to.

1. What is a headset signal level?

A headset signal level refers to the strength or intensity of the audio signal being transmitted from a device, such as a computer or phone, to a headset. It is typically measured in decibels (dB) and can affect the clarity and volume of the sound received through the headset.

2. How is headset signal level measured?

Headset signal level is typically measured using a sound level meter or a software program that can analyze audio signals. The measurement is usually expressed in decibels (dB) and can vary depending on the type of headset and the device it is connected to.

3. What is a good headset signal level?

A good headset signal level is typically between -10 dB and 0 dB. This range ensures that the audio being transmitted to the headset is clear and at an appropriate volume. However, the ideal signal level may vary depending on the specific device and headset being used.

4. What can affect headset signal levels?

Several factors can affect headset signal levels, including the quality of the audio source, the distance between the headset and the device, and any interference or obstructions between them. The type and quality of the headset itself can also impact signal levels.

5. How can I improve my headset signal level?

To improve headset signal levels, you can try adjusting the volume or audio settings on your device or using a different headset. Moving closer to the device and ensuring there are no obstructions between the headset and device can also help. If the issue persists, you may need to troubleshoot or seek technical support for your specific device and headset.

Back