Register to reply

Phd or master's in electrical engineering?

by AlfredPyo
Tags: electrical, engineering, master
Share this thread:
AlfredPyo
May11-14, 11:10 AM
P: 32
Which one is worth more?
I don't have much money, and I'm not the type of guy who will get a scholarship.
So I want to have a great start in my career. I also want to be financially stable.
So what degree should I pursue? Phd or master's?
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Comfortable climate indoors with porous glass
Crash-testing rivets
Customized surface inspection
Yellowflash
May11-14, 08:45 PM
P: 76
You would have to start with a BS and then should go to a PhD.
russ_watters
May11-14, 09:19 PM
Mentor
P: 22,248
Perhaps a few years of working with a BS, then deciding if you need a masters -- and then in what. You might find an MBA more useful.

Windadct
May12-14, 10:17 AM
P: 555
Phd or master's in electrical engineering?

From a pure economic standpoint - I agree with Russ - a technical bachelors degree, a few years of real experience, and meanwhile work on an MBA - very valuable. Also - many employers will help pay for the MBA as you work for them.
psparky
May12-14, 11:09 AM
PF Gold
P: 735
I agree to get real work experience first.

If you want to be financially stable, then staying away from 30 to 40 thousand dollars worth of debt would help. This dollar amount should be a HUGE part of your decision. If your employer is going to pay for this, then that's a different story.

Just a thought, but a P.E. can be even more valuable to some employers (need 4 years experience in field) and can be obtained for less than 1 thousand dollars. Take the F.E as soon as possible if you haven't already. Being a state licensed engineer is "big time" in many circles.

Dollar for dollar, a P.E. can pay big bucks compared to masters or PHD. But what I'm saying is just one man's opinion, not gospel by any means.

I have less than 20 thousand dollars total invested in my bachelors and PE. Talk about serious return on your money!!!

Like they say above, getting real world experience will help point you in the right direction.

I think it's also important to note that a bachelors degree by itself is also highly coveted. Don't ever say you have "just" a bachelors degree. I would guess there are 4 billion people on this planet who wish they "just" had a bachelors degree.

Register to reply