Register to reply

BioRad Turbo Blot Transfer Buffer Composition?

by Dro
Tags: biorad, blot, buffer, transfer, turbo
Share this thread:
Dro
May16-14, 07:34 PM
P: 8
Recently, my lab has bought a BioRad Turbo Blot Transfer system. It allows for you to do an efficient 7 minute transfer from a minigel to nitrocellulose. The transfer buffer, however is very expensive because you can only purchase it in conjunction with precut nitrocellulose membranes and thick filter paper, which greatly increases the cost. We've attempted to recreate the buffer using our own reagents, but with no luck (the voltage and current are not comparable to transfers using their recipe, or the transfer is inconsistent.). Basically, I was wondering if anyone had any clue as to what might be in this buffer and the proportions? I know this is rather specific, but it's worth a shot.
Phys.Org News Partner Biology news on Phys.org
Healthy humans make nice homes for viruses
Me, my neuroprocessor, and I: Preparing for a hybrid world
Australian mosquito appears in California
gravenewworld
May18-14, 09:21 PM
P: 1,410
I think this is the correct MSDS?

http://www.bio-rad.com/webroot/web/p...SA_1704159.pdf

Looks like a standard transfer buffer, but instead of methanol, they might be using ethanol. You should be able to tell by the smell (or maybe biologists just don't know the difference in smell).

If that isn't the right MSDS, just look for it. They're practically required by law to have one for the kit which should list most of the ingredients. It's not worth the time or headache to make transfer buffer from scratch (in case your transfer doesn't work. Were my reagents good? Did I adjust the pH right?). Just buy a big 5L cube of 10x tris/glycine buffer and make it from there, it isn't that expensive.

Register to reply