Register to reply

Integrating √(sinθ + 1)

by Kavorka
Tags: √sinθ, integrating
Share this thread:
Kavorka
May19-14, 04:01 PM
P: 33
I have a polar arc length problem that comes down to integrating √(sinθ + 1). Through double u-sub and trig sub I got it to be -2√(1 - sinθ) but that seems to be wrong. Wolfram Alpha says that the integral is [2√(sinθ + 1)(sin(θ/2) - cos(θ/2)] / [sin(θ/2) + cos(θ/2). I'm wondering how this is obtained.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
saminator910
May19-14, 04:46 PM
P: 94
Ok, can someone check this for me? I must be doing something stupid but I don't know what I'm doing wrong, this has to be some special case

[itex]\displaystyle\int \sqrt{1+\sin \theta} d \theta[/itex]

sub in.

[itex]\theta = \sin^{-1}x[/itex]

[itex]d \theta = \displaystyle\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^{2}}}[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle\int \frac{\sqrt{x+1}}{\sqrt{(1+x)(1-x)}}dx[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle \int \frac{1}{1-x}dx[/itex]

integrate and resub, but that doesn't really work out, don't know what to tell you I got the same answer

[itex]-2\sqrt{1-\sin\theta}+c[/itex]
disregardthat
May19-14, 05:05 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,742
Quote Quote by saminator910 View Post
Ok, can someone confirm this for me? I must be doing something really stupid but I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

[itex]\displaystyle\int \sqrt{1+\sin \theta} d \theta[/itex]

sub in.

[itex]\theta = \sin^{-1}x[/itex]

[itex]d \theta = \displaystyle\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^{2}}}[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle\int \frac{\sqrt{x+1}}{\sqrt{(1+x)(1-x)}}dx[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle \int \frac{1}{1-x}dx[/itex]

integrate and resub, but that doesn't really work out.

[itex]-2\sqrt{1-\sin\theta}+c[/itex]
It's correct. The derivative of [itex]-2\sqrt{1-\sin\theta}[/itex] is
[tex]-2\frac{-\cos\theta}{2\sqrt{1-\sin\theta}} = \frac{\cos\theta}{\sqrt{1-\sin\theta}} = \frac{\sqrt{1-\sin^2\theta}}{\sqrt{1-\sin\theta}} = \sqrt{1+\sin \theta}[/tex]

But apparantly we are dividing by 0 somewhere here. The problem with the substitution is that we're restricting our domain of [itex]\theta[/itex] to [itex][-\frac{\pi}{2},\frac{\pi}{2}][/itex], and x to [-1,1]. When differentiating we are also further restricted to x in (-1,1).

What I've learned when doing integrals involving trigonometry is this: try the magical substitution [itex]x = \tan(\frac{\theta}{2})[/itex].

EDIT: upon some calculations i think this might not work

Pranav-Arora
May19-14, 11:07 PM
P: 3,806
Integrating √(sinθ + 1)

Notice that:
$$\sqrt{1+\sin x}=\sin\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)+\cos\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)$$
Integrating gives:
$$\int \sqrt{1+\sin x}\,dx=2\left(\cos\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)-\sin\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)\right)+C$$
Multiply and divide by ##\sin\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)+\cos\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)## i.e
$$2\left(\cos\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)-\sin\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)\right)=\frac{2\left(\cos\left(\frac{x}{2} \right) - \sin\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)\right)\left( \sin\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)+\cos \left (\frac{x}{2}\right)\right)}{\sin\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)+\cos \left (\frac{x}{2}\right)}$$
Rewrite
$$\sin\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)+\cos\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)=\sqrt{1+ \sin x}$$
Hence,
$$\int \sqrt{1+\sin x}\,dx=\frac{2\sqrt{1+\sin x}\left(\cos\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)-\sin\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)\right)}{\sin\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)+\cos \left (\frac{x}{2}\right)}+C$$
The above result is same as ##2\sqrt{1-\sin x}+C##, W|A likes to complicate the things.

Register to reply