Register to reply

Can you prove God's non-existence(question only for atheists,if possible)?

by No-where-man
Tags: atheists, nonexistencequestion, prove
Share this thread:
zoobyshoe
Jul1-05, 01:36 PM
P: 5,641
Quote Quote by Les Sleeth
Not just the Buddha...

...and some sort of greater consciousness existing all around us.
All very interesting. Thanks for taking the time to write that out for me.
Les Sleeth
Jul1-05, 01:49 PM
PF Gold
P: 2,202
Quote Quote by zoobyshoe
The OBEs are seizures, but if they're not bothering you, and are, in fact, what you want, then you're fine. I just hope if someone posts here complaining of unwanted, unwilled, intrusive OBE experiences you will stand back and let me suggest a neurologist to them.
LOL. Of course! I have no reason to doubt that a brain malfunction can cause the OBE experience. I was only challenging your apparent assumption that the OBE report must be an illusion, when the seizure really might be causing a genuine OBE. Personally, I wouldn't want my brain doing that to me, I figure I'll be dead soon enough so I'd rather stay fully part of this life while I can.
PIT2
Jul1-05, 05:50 PM
P: 904
Quote Quote by zoobyshoe
No, I haven't ever heard of this. What's the end of the story? She came out of it somehow and reported an NDE?
Yes thats the end of it. She reported the NDE, which matched reality.

She had an aneurism and to remove it, doctors had to cool her body temperature, stop her heart and stop her brain. The operation lasted 6 hours or so, but im not sure how long of that she was actually dead.

After the operation, she reported having an OBE, seeing and hearing the doctor saw her skull open, seeing in detail the instruments used, seeing other doctors operating on her legs to do something with her veins, hearing and seeing a male and female doctor discuss that there was a problem with the veins in her brain, that they were too small.

After this part, she had the tunnellight experience and entered another realm where she communicated with other beings. She was later taken back to her body by one of those beings, which told her to go back in. She also saw the doctor using shocks and her body jolting up.

What made this case rare, is not what she described (because this is common during NDEs), but that it all occured in a controlled environment.

A short description can be read in that paper i posted earlier:
Several theories have been proposed to explain NDE. We did not show that psychological, neurophysiological, or physiological factors caused these experiences after cardiac arrest. Sabom22 mentions a young American woman who had complications during brain surgery for a cerebral aneurysm. The EEG of her cortex and brainstem had become totally flat. After the operation, which was eventually successful, this patient proved to have had a very deep NDE, including an out-of-body experience, with subsequently verified observations during the period of the flat EEG.
http://profezie3m.altervista.org/arc...Lancet_NDE.htm
zoobyshoe
Jul1-05, 07:06 PM
P: 5,641
Quote Quote by PIT2
She had an aneurism and to remove it, doctors had to cool her body temperature, stop her heart and stop her brain. The operation lasted 6 hours or so, but im not sure how long of that she was actually dead.
Earlier you said:
Quote Quote by PIT2
Also, she did not have any blood flowing to and in her brain for several hours. One can wonder if some part of the brain remain active without any bloodflow for so long.
Are you sure you read that the bloodflow was stopped to her brain for several hours? It doesn't seem at all possible to me that they would be able to revive her.
fileen
Jul1-05, 09:40 PM
P: 67
I think that asking for proof of gods non-existance is a little (no offence) pointless. we all know there is no way to actually prove there isnt a god, or that there is for that matter. I wrote a very long essay on the topic last year and found it a little difficult. there is always some one to say "but what if.." or "what about.." I think the question we should be asking is: does it really matter if he does or does not exist? do you personally need god? if you dont then he does not exist for you. I personally dont belive in a traditional god, I believe in energy, I think its important that people separate god from religion, which dictates limits and rules. does any one really know anything about god? how do we know that he is energy or that he is eternal? we cant possibly know. a god interacting and influencing peoples lives makes no sense. the universe is enormous, and we dont even know whats beyond it. one human, one planet, we are less than nothing. lets imagine there is a god for a moment, how self centered we would be to assume we are such a prority. I think we need to ask ourselves how much our society really needs a god. maybe we do. maybe the world would be a better place if we all were as faithful and caring and selfless as.. lets say mother theresa. as you can see this arguement goes around and around. do you need proff of non-existance? if so why? are you doubting what you believe? look at yourself and ask yourself if you may need something to believe in. I dont necessarily believe in god, but I have something of a theory to believe for myself that works for me. most religions come down to the very basics. do what is good, and fight for it. know what is right and do what is right even if it is hard or painful. we should not have to live for approval of some god. we should not have to live for approval from society, or friends, or family or anyone but ourselves. if there is a god he/she/it must know what is good and right. if this is the case then we have nothing to fear, if not then who cares. as long as you can accept and love who you are, and know that you are good and do whats right.
Ivan Seeking
Jul1-05, 10:27 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,501
Okay, we are way past logic now and into introspection. We are also off topic.
Ivan Seeking
Jul1-05, 10:44 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,501
PIT2, we had better keep the NDE discussions separate from anything like this. Feel free to start another thread.

Register to reply