Am I Going Blind? Eye Prescription Increasing

• Thread starter HMPARTICLE
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the gradual increase in eye prescription, with the unit measurement being diopter. The individual is nearsighted with readings of -3.5 and -4 in both eyes. The question is raised about whether this will eventually stabilize and remain at a constant prescription. The conversation also touches on the topic of topology and analysis and the importance of consulting an ophthalmologist for further information.
HMPARTICLE
My eye prescription is gradually increasing, two years are I was 3.5 in both eyes now I am a 4? Will this eventually converge so that I remain at a constant prescription?

Biology news on Phys.org
What? "Eye prescription"? What does "3.5"or "4" measure? And the really important question- what does this have to do with "topology and analysis"?

I am really sorry I decided to use the app for this post, I shall try and rectify the issue. (It was intended for general discussion.)
The unit measurement is diopter. As I am nearsighted the reading is -4 in both eyes.

If I must be quite honest, at the time I didn't think of the bigger picture. I shall book an appointment tomorrow!

HMPARTICLE said:
If I must be quite honest, at the time I didn't think of the bigger picture. I shall book an appointment tomorrow!

Good idea! Keep us updated

How old are you? I'm very nearsighted myself. As I recall, my prescription gradually became stronger while I was still growing, then stabilized around age 20. This was many years ago, so I don't remember the exact timeline. But definitely consult your ophthalmologist to find out whether your situation is normal or whether something else is going on.

1. How can I tell if my eye prescription is increasing?

The most common way to tell if your eye prescription is increasing is by scheduling regular eye exams with an optometrist. They will conduct various tests to determine your current prescription and compare it to your previous ones. Additionally, if you notice changes in your vision such as blurry or distorted vision, it may be a sign that your prescription is increasing.

2. What causes an increase in eye prescription?

An increase in eye prescription, also known as myopia progression, can be caused by a variety of factors. Genetics, eye strain from excessive screen time, and environmental factors such as lighting and reading distance can all contribute to an increase in eye prescription. Your optometrist can help determine the specific cause in your case.

3. Is an increase in eye prescription common?

Yes, an increase in eye prescription is quite common, especially in children and young adults. It is estimated that about 30% of Americans have myopia, and it is becoming more prevalent. However, with proper eye care and management, the progression of myopia can be slowed or even stopped.

4. Can wearing glasses or contacts prevent an increase in eye prescription?

While glasses and contacts can correct vision, they do not prevent an increase in eye prescription. However, certain types of contact lenses, called orthokeratology lenses, have been shown to slow down the progression of myopia in some individuals. It is best to consult with your optometrist about the best treatment options for your specific vision needs.

5. Can an increase in eye prescription lead to blindness?

No, an increase in eye prescription will not lead to blindness. Myopia (nearsightedness) is a refractive error that can be easily corrected with glasses, contacts, or refractive surgery. However, severe myopia can increase the risk of developing certain eye conditions such as retinal detachment or glaucoma. This is why regular eye exams are important to monitor and manage any changes in your vision.