Why is spastic cerebral palsy caused by lesion in pyramidal tract?

• Thread starter sameeralord
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the distinction between upper motor neuron lesions causing spasticity and affecting extra pyramidal motor tracts. It also mentions the difference between spastic and non-spastic cerebral palsy, and clarifies the terms plegia, diplegia, and quadriplegia. The conversation concludes with a request for further information.
sameeralord
Hello everyone,

The way I remember upper motor neuron lesions. I always thought a singular lesion in pyramidal tract would only cause Babiniski sign and loss of superficial reflexes. For a UMN to cause spasticty it must affect extra pyramidal motor tracts such as reticulospinal tract.

But I just read in this website spastic cerbral palsy is pyramidal and non spastic is extrapyramidal. How can that be?

Also did I understand these terms right

Plegia : Complete paralysis.
Diplegia: Lower Limbs affected more than Upper Limb . Isn't this same as paraplegia?
Quadriplgia: All 4 limbs affected. Are UL more affected than LL.Thank you :smile:

Biology news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

1. What is the pyramidal tract?

The pyramidal tract is a group of nerve fibers in the brain that are responsible for controlling voluntary movements. It is also known as the corticospinal tract.

2. How does a lesion in the pyramidal tract cause spastic cerebral palsy?

A lesion, or injury, in the pyramidal tract can disrupt or damage the nerve fibers, leading to a disruption in the brain's ability to control muscle movements. This can result in increased muscle tone and stiffness, which are characteristic symptoms of spastic cerebral palsy.

3. What are the signs and symptoms of spastic cerebral palsy?

The most common signs and symptoms of spastic cerebral palsy include increased muscle tone, stiffness, and difficulty with coordination and balance. This can lead to difficulties with motor skills and movement, as well as potential speech and cognitive impairments.

4. Are there any other causes of spastic cerebral palsy besides a lesion in the pyramidal tract?

While a lesion in the pyramidal tract is the most common cause of spastic cerebral palsy, there can be other factors that contribute to the condition, such as genetic or environmental factors. However, a lesion in the pyramidal tract is the most frequently observed cause.

5. Is there a cure for spastic cerebral palsy caused by a lesion in the pyramidal tract?

Currently, there is no cure for spastic cerebral palsy caused by a lesion in the pyramidal tract. However, there are various treatments and therapies available to manage the symptoms and improve quality of life for individuals with this condition. These can include physical therapy, medication, and assistive devices.