Black Holes - Where does all the matter go

by BenGoodchild
Tags: black, holes, matter
BenGoodchild
May16-05, 07:57 AM
P: n/a
Quote Quote by Janus
No, the gravitational force is infinite at the singularity because r=0. At any r>0 the gravitational force is finite.
Thank you for clearing that up.

Regards,

Ben
russ_watters
May16-05, 09:00 AM
Mentor
P: 22,008
Quote Quote by BenGoodchild
And one final question, if I speed towards a black hole from the other side of the universe near the speed of light, and of course become cloesr to the singularity, am i acclerated by it, u ptowards the speed of light further, or am I unaffected due to my speed, surely with infinite gravity, I will be accelerated.
From the point of view of an observer stationary wrt the black hole, you will continue to accelerate hyperbolically approaching C, but never getting there. From your point of view, you will accelerate constantly, but get to the black hole before reaching C (it doesn't matter how strong the black hole's gravity is or how fast you started - you won't ever reach C).
BenGoodchild
May16-05, 05:27 PM
P: n/a
One last question on this, when we get down to really small things, which have no mass, are they attracted by black holes or not? I was thinking not.

Regards,

Ben
chroot
May16-05, 05:32 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 10,424
All particles have energy, and almost all have mass. In general relativity, both energy and mass both couple to gravity, so all particles, whether massive or not, are affected by gravity. All particles, including photons, will be attracted to a black hole.

Black holes were so named originally because light (which is massless) cannot escape from them.

- Warren

Register to reply