Register to reply

Do neutrinos and antineutrinos annihilate?

by pierce15
Tags: annihilate, antineutrinos, neutrinos
Share this thread:
pierce15
Jun11-14, 07:32 PM
P: 246
Sorry if this is a trivial question; I don't know very much about particle physics.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physical constant is constant even in strong gravitational fields
Physicists provide new insights into the world of quantum materials
Nuclear spins control current in plastic LED: Step toward quantum computing, spintronic memory, better displays
phinds
Jun11-14, 07:57 PM
PF Gold
P: 6,515
Don't know. I believe it is not known for certain whether or not the neutrino is its own antiparticle.

What I believe to be the case however is that other than as a purely factual thing, it is irrelevant. Since a neutrino can go through something like a light year of solid lead without hitting anything, the chances of a neutrino hitting an anti neutrino seems vanishingly small even considering how MANY of the little buggers there are.
ChrisVer
Jun11-14, 08:26 PM
P: 1,070
Yes neutrinos+antineutrinos annihilate, as all the other particles+antiparticles... I don't think they can annihilate by photon emission but they can by [itex]Z^{0}[/itex]...

Matterwave
Jun11-14, 08:33 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,953
Do neutrinos and antineutrinos annihilate?

Quote Quote by ChrisVer View Post
Yes neutrinos+antineutrinos annihilate, as all the other particles+antiparticles... I don't think they can annihilate by photon emission but they can by [itex]Z^{0}[/itex]...
As the Z boson is massive (quite massive), if this is the only channel for which annihilation can occur, that would suggest the neutrinos and anti-neutrinos must have some minimum energy in their COM frame right? I think there must be other channels for this annihilation...but I don't know of them for sure off the top of my head.
ChrisVer
Jun11-14, 08:38 PM
Well I think the mass of the Z boson does nothing but suppress the interaction - and of course it's suppressed by 1/mZ2
ChrisVer
Jun11-14, 08:44 PM
http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=622173

although as stated I cannot understand post #7...
mass doesn't mean that you can have annihilation to photons if your charge (vertex coupling) is zero... Or the poster meant something else...
pierce15
Jun11-14, 09:00 PM
Is there some kind of equation applicable to this scenario?
Matterwave
Jun11-14, 09:08 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,953
Quote Quote by piercebeatz View Post
Is there some kind of equation applicable to this scenario?
Yes, it would the sum of all Feynman diagrams with ##\nu_e \bar{\nu}_e\rightarrow Z^0 Z^0##

Or perhaps ##\nu_e \bar{\nu}_e\rightarrow \gamma\gamma##

Essentially...and perhaps other products...But...these diagrams are highly complicated and non-trivial...I wouldn't know how to evaluate them. I can only give some guesses.
pierce15
Jun11-14, 09:28 PM
Ok... slightly different question: assuming that they would annihilate if they were of the same flavor, would two antineutrinos annihilate if one was an antiparticle but the other was of a different flavor?

Related: how about a muon and a positron?
ChrisVer
Jun11-14, 10:04 PM
the related question is obviously no...
the question itself : in principle no... except for if you allow neutrino oscillations...
But then you would have the case of neutrino+antineutrino, which is already highly suppressed... It wouldn't make any sense to suppress it even further...

Except for if you mean two antineutrinos and that was not a typo... Two antineutrinos as two positrons or two electrons don't annihilate .... (I'm trying to avoid thinking of neutrinos as Majorana, since this is not yet observed- otherwise the two neutrinos or two antineutrinos could annihilate with each other)
Orodruin
Jun12-14, 10:15 AM
P: 691
Quote Quote by Matterwave View Post
Yes, it would the sum of all Feynman diagrams with ##\nu_e \bar{\nu}_e\rightarrow Z^0 Z^0##

Or perhaps ##\nu_e \bar{\nu}_e\rightarrow \gamma\gamma##

Essentially...and perhaps other products...But...these diagrams are highly complicated and non-trivial...I wouldn't know how to evaluate them. I can only give some guesses.
In principle, neutrinos could annihilate according to

##\nu_e \bar{\nu}_e\rightarrow e^+ e^-##

through exchange of a Z in s-channel or a W in t-channel. Since the weak bosons in these processes are virtual, the threshold for this to occur is based on the electron mass rather than the weak boson masses. Of course, the cross section for this process would typically go as the Fermi constant squared and be very low.

This reaction is also related by crossing symmetry to the elastic scattering of electron neutrinos on electrons, which gives rise to observable matter effects in neutrino oscillations.
dauto
Jun12-14, 11:02 AM
Thanks
P: 1,948
Quote Quote by ChrisVer View Post
http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=622173

although as stated I cannot understand post #7...
mass doesn't mean that you can have annihilation to photons if your charge (vertex coupling) is zero... Or the poster meant something else...
The poster is pointing out that the annihilation to photons is possible even though the tree level vertex coupling is zero because there are radiative diagrams (that is loop diagrams) that mediate the process.
pierce15
Jun12-14, 02:27 PM
Maybe this is pushing a little too far, but does whether a neutrino and an antineutrino annihilate have any significance in our view of the universe? i.e. if we experimentally showed either that this reaction forms photons/an electron-positron pair or that it doesn't occur at all, would this have any implications in particle physics?
phinds
Jun12-14, 03:13 PM
PF Gold
Maybe this is pushing a little too far, but does whether a neutrino and an antineutrino annihilate have any significance in our view of the universe? i.e. if we experimentally showed either that this reaction forms photons/an electron-positron pair or that it doesn't occur at all, would this have any implications in particle physics?
For practical considerations, see post #2
pierce15
Jun12-14, 03:18 PM
Quote Quote by phinds View Post
For practical considerations, see post #2
Just because it's unlikely doesn't mean it's impossible or unworthy of consideration. The big bang happened once, but we study it because it's an important part of our understanding of the universe. The point of physics is to develop a theory of how the universe works, and waving off thought experiments as unrealistic leaves gaps in the theory. This is essentially equivalent to saying that it is impossible to accelerate anything with appreciable mass to a significant fraction of the speed of light, so we don't need to consider special relativity.
Bill_K
Jun12-14, 03:38 PM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 4,160
if we experimentally showed either that this reaction forms photons/an electron-positron pair or that it doesn't occur at all, would this have any implications in particle physics?
The Standard Model predicts it can happen, so if it doesn't happen, that would be a serious challenge to the Standard Model.

Just because it's unlikely doesn't mean it isn't possible or unworthy of consideration.
In fact, some of the most stringent tests of the Standard Model are those reactions that are extremely unlikely, and consequently extremely rare.
ChrisVer
Jun12-14, 03:54 PM
Of course Bill... it's easier to find something with small contribution in soft noise than finding it in a very noisy region. At least that's what I think about the rare events being a test for the SM.
Of course, if the OP checks the other thread I posted, he'll find that people there said the process of neutrino-antineutrino annihilation is not yet observed, because it's very small... neutrinos interact hardly with matter, just imagine expecting two of them to interact with each other hehehe.
phinds
Jun12-14, 03:57 PM
PF Gold
Just because it's unlikely doesn't mean it's impossible or unworthy of consideration...
I was not suggesting otherwise. I think we're talking at cross purposes. I was commenting on the practical significance to everyday life which sort of addressed the first part of your question, not the second part.

Register to reply