Synchrotrons and accelerating particles

In summary, synchrotrons use a combination of electric and magnetic fields to accelerate charged particles to high energies. The alternating voltage applied between electrodes positioned around the ring provides the electric field that accelerates the particles in the straight sections. The frequency of this voltage does not need to increase, as the particles are already moving at close to the speed of light and will not significantly speed up. The magnetic force provided by electromagnets keeps the particles in their tracks along the curved sections. The alternating voltage is applied to every other drift tube in the straight sections to continuously attract the particles towards the next one.
spacebar
1. in synchrotrons; as i understand, particles are only accelerated along the straight sections by an electric field established by electrodes. in my textbook, it says "a high frequency alternating voltage is applied between electrodes positioned around the ring which accelerates the charged particles to high energies". so my question is: would this alternating voltage be constant? Surely its frequency would need to increase in order to account for decreased flight time?

the idea is that there are curved sections of the synchrotron, and in order to keep particles in their tracks along these, a magnetic force is provided by electromagnets: BQv = m(v
2)/r. in the straight sections, the charged particles are accelerated by an electric field so velocity increases, therefore Q must also increase. Would the increase in velocity result in a decrease in time taken for the particle to travel between the straight sections such that the frequency of the alternating voltage applied between electrodes at the straight sections would need to increase.

NB: the electrodes at the straight sections are pairs/groups of drift tubes: the alternating voltage is applied to every other drift tube such that the electrons are always attracted towards the next one.

I am not really sure how much to assume people know about what I am going on about, so please let me know if this is all v unclear.
many thanks in advance :smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

I have moved your thread from the Homework & Coursework area to the General Physics area, since it is (apparently) not a request for homework help.

Particles in synchrotrons typically move close to the speed of light, so do not speed up appreciably and the constant frequency can remain in synch with the particles.

What is a synchrotron?

A synchrotron is a type of particle accelerator that uses magnetic and electric fields to accelerate charged particles, such as electrons, to very high speeds. These particles are then used for various scientific experiments.

How does a synchrotron work?

A synchrotron works by using a series of magnets to bend and focus a beam of particles, while an electric field provides the acceleration. The particles then travel through a series of straight and curved sections, gaining energy with each pass until they reach the desired speed.

What are the applications of synchrotrons?

Synchrotrons have a wide range of applications in various scientific fields, including materials science, biology, chemistry, and physics. They are used to study the properties of materials, analyze biological structures, and investigate the fundamental building blocks of matter.

What are the advantages of using a synchrotron over other types of particle accelerators?

Synchrotrons are capable of producing intense, highly focused beams of particles that can be used for a wide range of experiments. They also allow for a high degree of control and flexibility, as the energy and intensity of the particle beam can be easily adjusted.

What are the potential future developments for synchrotrons?

There are ongoing developments in the field of synchrotron technology, such as the development of smaller, more affordable synchrotrons, and the use of new materials and designs to increase the efficiency and capabilities of these machines. Additionally, there is ongoing research into using synchrotrons for medical applications, such as cancer treatment.