Register to reply

Dark energy

by Swimfit
Tags: dark, energy
Share this thread:
Swimfit
Jun15-14, 06:21 PM
P: 38
Ok this may be another stupid Question that I always seem to ask! Does Dark Energy follow the same rule as energy? E=MC^2 or E=MC2?
Phys.Org News Partner Astronomy news on Phys.org
Mixing in star-forming clouds explains why sibling stars look alike
Thermonuclear X-ray bursts on neutron stars set speed record
How can we find tiny particles in exoplanet atmospheres?
Mordred
Jun15-14, 09:14 PM
P: 1,857
we don't know what dark energy is exactly, so we have no idea what particle to use in that formula.
Swimfit
Jun15-14, 09:35 PM
Thanks for your answer��

Matterwave
Jun16-14, 01:29 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,847
Dark energy

Quote Quote by Swimfit View Post
Ok this may be another stupid Question that I always seem to ask! Does Dark Energy follow the same rule as energy? E=MC^2 or E=MC2?
The name "dark energy" is perhaps a poorly chosen one. We are as yet completely clueless to the underlying mechanism behind it. The simplest model which explains dark energy is the regular cosmological constant. In this case, the dark energy is a manifestation of a constant of integration in Einstein's Field Equations. As such, it does not behave like any particles that we know of.
Swimfit
Jun16-14, 06:26 AM
Thanks so much for your answer! Dark energy is a mysterious thing. From what I've read it seems to be growing stronger too.
Swimfit
Jun16-14, 06:40 AM
I just wanted to clarify I meant to say seems to to growing stronger but not growing in the total percentage of it to everything else in the universe
phinds
Jun16-14, 07:36 AM
PF Gold
P: 6,338
Quote Quote by Swimfit View Post
Thanks so much for your answer! Dark energy is a mysterious thing. From what I've read it seems to be growing stronger too.
No, it is not. As far as is known, dark energy has been around since the beginning or the universe (or shortly thereafter) and has always had the same energy density per unit volumn. What you are probably getting confused by is the fact that the EFFECT is getting larger because the space between galaxies is getting larger. It's a snowball effect.
f '(x)
Jun16-14, 11:36 AM
P: 8
Does dark energy actually exist or is it a theory? Any proof/evidence of it?
phinds
Jun16-14, 12:04 PM
PF Gold
P: 6,338
Quote Quote by f '(x) View Post
Does dark energy actually exist or is it a theory? Any proof/evidence of it?
I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding. Experimental evidence is unequivocal that SOMETHING is causing the universe's expansion to accelerate. We have no idea WHAT is causing it so someone made up the name "dark energy" as a stand-in phrase so that we don't have to go around all the time saying "whatever it is that is causing the universe's expansion to accelerate"

Register to reply