Register to reply

Why does a singularity have to exist?

by eldred
Tags: exist, singularity
Share this thread:
eldred
Jun17-14, 05:10 PM
P: 2
Why, at the center of a black hole, does the need to be a point where space-time curvature is infinite? I understand that black holes scale with consumed matter, and that the point has 0 density but how do we get infinite G?

I'm just an amateur but because this might just be a mathematical implication, and I'd love it if you threw an equation for me to try and pick apart. Also, why wouldn't a model without a singularity work?
Phys.Org News Partner Astronomy news on Phys.org
New mass map of a distant galaxy cluster is the most precise yet
Highest-precision measurement of water in planet outside the solar system
Satellite galaxies put astronomers in a spin
Drakkith
Jun17-14, 05:33 PM
Mentor
P: 11,501
The singularity is a result of the way the equations work out in General Relativity. Whether a singularity exists in real life is unknown. A number of people believe that the singularity is simply an artifact of our incomplete knowledge of physics at that scale and that a quantum theory of gravity would solve this problem.

Put simply, a singularity doesn't have to exist. It may or may not exist in reality.
Matterwave
Jun17-14, 05:39 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,660
There is a very similar thread about this, only a few threads down: http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=758146

eldred
Jun17-14, 05:42 PM
P: 2
Why does a singularity have to exist?

Yep I had posted in the wrong forum. Thanks!

Register to reply