Density equations (light considered as reservioir)

• Thread starter Robert_G
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Density
In summary, the conversation is about a reader asking for help with understanding a density equation describing the interaction between a damped harmonic oscillator and radiation. The reader wants to see how the population evolves and is asking for help with a specific calculation. They also mention trying to approach the calculation in a different way but are unsure of how to do so. The conversation concludes with the reader wondering if their initial approach was correct and if anyone has any insights on the second approach.
Robert_G
Hi, there

I am reading the book called "Atom-Photon Interaction", the chapter of " Radiation considered as a Reservoir". My question is actually short, but I have to describe the background.

Following is the density equation which describes the interaction between the damped harmonic oscillator and the radiation.

[itex]\frac{d \sigma}{dt}=-\frac{\Gamma}{2}[a, b^\dagger b]_+ - \Gamma'[\sigma, b^\dagger b]_+-i(\omega_0+\Delta)[b^\dagger b, a]+\Gamma b \sigma b^\dagger + \Gamma'(b^\dagger \sigma b + b \sigma b^\dagger)[/itex].

Here, the ##\sigma## is the density operator for the harmonic oscillator, and ##b## (##b^\dagger##) is the annihilation (creation) operator of the harmonic oscillator, and all the properties of the radiation is contained in the paremeters ##\Gamma## and ##\Gamma'##. Now we want to see how the population evolves, and this is about the calculation ##\langle n| \cdot \cdot \cdot|n \rangle##. So we need to calculate the term ##\langle n|b \sigma b^\dagger|n \rangle##. The following is how I did it, and it actually can lead to the answer that printed in the book.

##\langle n| b \sigma b^\dagger|n \rangle=(b^\dagger |n\rangle)^\dagger \; \sigma \; b^\dagger|n \rangle##

Using ##b^\dagger |n \rangle = \sqrt{n+1}|n+1\rangle## can bring us

##(n+1)\sigma_{n+1,n+1}##

-------------------------------------------------------------------
My question is how about do it the other way.

##\langle n| b \sigma b^\dagger|n \rangle=\langle n | b \sigma (b^\dagger | n \rangle)##

##=\sqrt{n+1}\langle n | b \sigma|n+1\rangle##

Now, If I knew the commuter of ##[\sigma, b]## or, what's ##\sigma |n+1 \rangle##, I can go on with the calcuation, But I don't. Does anyone know how to do it in this way? Do not calculate from the left to right.

PS: It 's correct in the first way, right?
PPS: This is not a stupid question, I hope.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

What does the variable 'a' stand for?

What is the density equation?

The density equation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the density of a substance. It is expressed as density = mass / volume.

How is light considered as a reservoir in density equations?

In some density equations, light is considered as a reservoir because it is a form of energy that can be stored and transferred to other objects. This is often seen in equations related to light scattering or absorption.

Can density equations be used to predict the behavior of light?

No, density equations cannot be used to directly predict the behavior of light. They are used to calculate the density of a substance, which can then be used in other equations to study the behavior of light.

Are there different types of density equations for light?

Yes, there are different types of density equations for light depending on the specific properties being studied. Some examples include the refractive index equation, the Beer-Lambert law, and the Rayleigh scattering equation.

What are some real-world applications of density equations for light?

Density equations for light have many practical applications, such as in the design of optical lenses, the study of atmospheric conditions, and the measurement of air pollution levels. They are also used in fields like astronomy, meteorology, and photography.