Help understanding this approximation

by Ryuzaki
Tags: approximation
Share this thread:
Ryuzaki
Jun19-14, 12:27 PM
P: 40
In a paper that I'm reading, the authors write:-

[itex]N_e \approx \frac{3}{4} (e^{-y}+y)-1.04[/itex] ------------ [itex](4.31)[/itex]

Now, an analytic approximation can be obtained by using the expansion with respect to the inverse number of "e-foldings" ([itex]N_e[/itex] is the number of "e-foldings"). For instance, eq. [itex](4.31)[/itex] yields:-

[itex]e^y = \dfrac{3}{4N_e} - \dfrac{9ln(N_e)}{16(N_e)^2} -\dfrac{0.94}{(N_e)^2} + O(\dfrac{ln^2(N_e)}{(N_e)^3})[/itex]

Can anyone tell me how this approximation is done? I'm not familiar with the $O$ notation either. What does it mean? How do the authors arrive at that expression?

If anyone should require it, the original paper can be found here: https://arxiv.org/pdf/1001.5118.pdf?...ication_detail
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Fair cake cutting gets its own algorithm
Effort to model Facebook yields key to famous math problem (and a prize)
pasmith
Jun19-14, 01:35 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 945
Quote Quote by Ryuzaki View Post
In a paper that I'm reading, the authors write:-

[itex]N_e \approx \frac{3}{4} (e^{-y}+y)-1.04[/itex] ------------ [itex](4.31)[/itex]

Now, an analytic approximation can be obtained by using the expansion with respect to the inverse number of "e-foldings" ([itex]N_e[/itex] is the number of "e-foldings"). For instance, eq. [itex](4.31)[/itex] yields:-

[itex]e^y = \dfrac{3}{4N_e} - \dfrac{9ln(N_e)}{16(N_e)^2} -\dfrac{0.94}{(N_e)^2} + O(\dfrac{ln^2(N_e)}{(N_e)^3})[/itex]

Can anyone tell me how this approximation is done?

It's an asymptotic expansion. Finding these is more of an art than a science. Hinch is a good introduction.

I'm not familiar with the $O$ notation either. What does it mean?
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_O_notation.

Register to reply