View Poll Results: Which Antivirus programme do you use?
Avast 5 11.90%
AVG 6 14.29%
Avira 1 2.38%
Bitdefender 1 2.38%
COMODO 2 4.76%
ESET 1 2.38%
Kaspersky 1 2.38%
McAfee 1 2.38%
Malwarebytes 0 0%
Microsoft (Security Essentials, Windows Defender) 12 28.57%
Norton (Symantec) 3 7.14%
Panda 0 0%
Others 2 4.76%
No antivirus 7 16.67%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Register to reply

[Poll] Which Antivirus do you use?

by Adjoint
Tags: antivirus
Share this thread:
Adjoint
Jun20-14, 01:17 PM
P: 120
Let's see which antivirus is most popular among PF members.
Vote for your favorite antivirus program and also share your comments. Give it a go!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
An interesting glimpse into how future state-of-the-art electronics might work
Tissue regeneration using anti-inflammatory nanomolecules
C2D2 fighting corrosion
Greg Bernhardt
Jun20-14, 01:19 PM
Admin
P: 9,491
I've been using Windows Defender for a few years now. No problems.
adjacent
Jun20-14, 01:23 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,489
Why don't you put a poll?
I use ESET Smart Security 7 now.

Adjoint
Jun20-14, 01:29 PM
[Poll] Which Antivirus do you use?

Quote Quote by adjacent View Post
Why don't you put a poll?
Done!
harborsparrow
Jun22-14, 02:29 PM
PF Gold
P: 347
For personal use, I strongly prefer the Microsoft solution because it does not intrude on the machine's operation, whereas most commercial antivirus software that I've used is so intrusive (and sometimes actually prevents good software from running) that it can be nearly as bad as getting a virus, besides eating up a lot of CPU time.
Routaran
Jun22-14, 03:01 PM
P: 292
I use MS Security Essentials as well. It's lightweight and non-intrusive. Usually after an infection occurs on a system, one of the biggest problems with cleaning is the Antivirus program getting in the way. Often it can interpret your attempts to disable services/processes that are active as virus like behaviour and prevent you from fixing the problem.

If you do use McAfee/Norton/AVG, etc. keep the removal tools for said software handy as well, it's helpful to get rid of them as a first step of cleaning.
fluidistic
Jun22-14, 05:12 PM
PF Gold
P: 3,189
I rarely use Windows now that I've tried Linux. But on Windows my anti virus is Avira.
I also have "Spybot Search & Destroy" as anti spyware.
StevieTNZ
Jun22-14, 06:27 PM
PF Gold
P: 801
I use GData Total Protection.
peterdavidson9
Jun23-14, 02:11 AM
P: 1
I am currently using a double protection on my PC. I am using AVG with Immunet antivirus software.
Adjoint
Jun24-14, 02:05 AM
Quote Quote by peterdavidson9 View Post
I am currently using a double protection on my PC.
As far as I know, using two antiviruses simultaneously is not a good decision.
enorbet
Jun24-14, 09:54 AM
P: 146
Quote Quote by Adjoint View Post
As far as I know, using two antiviruses simultaneously is not a good decision.
Actually it is a good idea if setup right. Besides the difference between true virii and malware, requiring at least one of each type of protection, AV and AntiMalware software are all reactionary requiring constant updating of definitions and utilized by often very different algorithms. Just don't run them automatically and simultaneously. Unless you schedule them to run at specific times automatically, just do that manually and regularly... shut them off and use good Net sense in what you click on, download or install.

An important accessory that can help a great deal are addons for blocking scripts in your browser. Personally I run Linux and worry a lot less, but I fix a LOT of Windows machines and I dislike callbacks so the above is how I prevent recurring nasty surprises and can actually schedule routine proper maintenance and maximize my clients' performance.
cobalt124
Jun25-14, 06:32 AM
PF Gold
P: 147
Norton when I can afford it, when I can't free versions of AVG or MSE (good experience), Avast and BitDefender (bad experience). Free version of Malwarebytes fixed one of our laptops in two hours after I'd spent the best part of two days trying to clean it up.
elusiveshame
Jun25-14, 07:04 AM
P: 39
I used to use free-av/avira as it only let one virus in after 8 years, but I switched over to avg free for the last 2.

A few other things that I use as well to compliment virus scanners are hijack this, spybot, adaware, and malware bytes. I also use ad block plus (highly recommend) and for the sites I know rely on ad revenue and offer quality services or information, I disable it.

I haven't used microsofts solution, but I hear nothing but good things. I've had bad experiences with Norton, and I've had mediocre experiences with mcafee on an enterprise level, but I'm not fond of their personal user software.

A lot of these I haven't heard of, so I may have to set up a few vm's and give them a thorough testing to see if there's one that I like better than avg :D
jedishrfu
Jun25-14, 07:16 AM
P: 2,949
While not a virus scanner per se, Hijackthis is a good tool to have. It identifies what software hooked into your browser or system interrupts which you could check periodically to see if you've got some malware running and then allows you to remove it.

http://download.cnet.com/Trend-Micro...-10227353.html
elusiveshame
Jun25-14, 07:40 AM
P: 39
Yeah, it's definitely a nice tool to have next to your virus scanner, especially if you're not familiar with the registry or afraid to mess it up.
enorbet
Jun25-14, 08:38 AM
P: 146
Malwarebytes is by far the best Anti-Malware software and exceptionally important since, given a proper 2-way firewall. script blocking in browsers and good net practice, true virus infection is fairly rare.
phinds
Jun25-14, 11:07 AM
PF Gold
P: 6,293
Just FYI, I found this on the internet. Symantec sponsored (paid for but had conducted by an independent lab

The Microsoft Security Essentials vs Norton study tested both applications for accuracy and protection. In both circumstances, Norton performed significantly better than Microsoft Security Essentials. Other reputable independent labs also find that Norton is the better product for optimal malware security.
phinds
Jun25-14, 11:12 AM
PF Gold
P: 6,293
Quote Quote by enorbet View Post
Actually it is a good idea if setup right...
I am VERY dubious that you can "set up right". They do tend to fight each other and there are horror stories of such battles locking up a computer. I think it really is a bad idea. You MIGHT get lucky and find two that get along with each other but I would NOT count on it.

Register to reply