Young's modulus of rubber sheet using the inflation technique

In summary, the conversation revolves around the use of a rubber sheet in an Ussing chamber to track membrane inflation with hydrostatic pressure. The geometry of the membrane elevation allows for the calculation of elevation and arc-length of the capsular segment, assuming a spherical segment model. The stress on the membrane is determined using the formula σ= PR/2t, where P is the pressure, R is the radius of curvature, and t is the thickness of the sample. The Poisson ratio of the sample is given as 0.47. The goal is to calculate the Young's modulus of the material using the equation strain (ε)= (σ/E)-μσ/E, where E is Young's Modulus and μ is Poisson's
Ali Hussain
A rubber sheet (thickness 0.2mm) was mounted in an open-type Ussing chamber (6mm aperture) such that hydrostatic pressure could be applied to one side and the resulting inflation of the membrane tracked with an OCT instrument (OCT: ocular coherence tomography). From the geometry of the membrane elevation, I can calculate the elevation at the pole and the arc-length of the capsular segment as a function of applied pressure. Having modeled the system as a spherical segment, the stress was assumed to be σ= PR/2t, where P is the pressure in Pascals, R is the radius of curvature, and t is the thickness of the sample. The Poisson ratio of the sample was determined as 0.47. Could somebody please help me to calculate the Young's modulus of this material using the parameters given earlier. I am trying to use the following equation:

strain (ε)= (σ/E)-μσ/E, where E is Young's Modulus and μ is Poisson's ratio. However, I do not know how to obtain the strain. I have tried to use the arc-length, calculating strain as (l-lo)/lo where l is the measured arc length at a given pressure and lo is the arc-length at zero pressure. But this gives me a value for E that is about 5-fold larger than that obtained using the strip-stretch method. Please, please help. Is it possible to solve this without the use of tensor calculus? Desperately looking forward to a response. Many thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

1. What is Young's modulus of rubber sheet using the inflation technique?

Young's modulus of rubber sheet using the inflation technique is a measure of the stiffness or elasticity of a rubber sheet when it is inflated with a gas such as air. It is a property that describes how much the rubber sheet will stretch or compress when a force is applied to it.

2. How is Young's modulus of rubber sheet using the inflation technique measured?

Young's modulus of rubber sheet using the inflation technique is determined by measuring the change in the diameter of the rubber sheet as it is inflated with a known pressure. The resulting data is then used to calculate the modulus using a mathematical formula.

3. What factors can affect the measurement of Young's modulus of rubber sheet using the inflation technique?

The accuracy of the measurement of Young's modulus of rubber sheet using the inflation technique can be influenced by factors such as the type of gas used for inflation, the temperature and humidity of the testing environment, and the thickness and composition of the rubber sheet.

4. What is the significance of Young's modulus of rubber sheet using the inflation technique?

Young's modulus of rubber sheet using the inflation technique is an important property to consider in applications where the rubber sheet will be subjected to pressure or stretching, such as in the manufacturing of tires or other rubber products. It can also be used to compare the stiffness of different types of rubber materials.

5. How can Young's modulus of rubber sheet using the inflation technique be improved?

The accuracy of measuring Young's modulus of rubber sheet using the inflation technique can be improved by ensuring that the testing equipment is calibrated properly, using a consistent gas pressure and temperature, and conducting multiple measurements to obtain an average value. The use of advanced techniques, such as digital image analysis, can also improve the accuracy of the measurement.