Earth as a capacitor

by shivakumar06
Tags: capacitor, earth
Share this thread:
shivakumar06
Jun25-14, 08:17 PM
P: 67
dear sir
the charge on clouds and ground can be different and this causes lightning due rain only. i want to know more about the process that causes it
Phys.Org News Partner Astronomy news on Phys.org
Young binary star system may form planets with weird and wild orbits
Evidence of a local hot bubble carved by a supernova
Astronomers measure weight of galaxies, expansion of universe
Chronos
Jun25-14, 09:36 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,386
Clouds become charged by rubbing against one another, not unlike rubbing a glass rod with a silk cloth. When the charge becomes sufficiently disparate you can have cloud to cloud, or cloud to ground electrical discharges [i.e., lightning].
Dotini
Jun25-14, 09:38 PM
PF Gold
P: 506
Quote Quote by shivakumar06 View Post
dear sir
the charge on clouds and ground can be different and this causes lightning due rain only. i want to know more about the process that causes it
Go ahead and read All About Lightning, by Martin Uman. Only $6.95 from Dover.

Simon Bridge
Jun25-14, 09:48 PM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 12,475
Earth as a capacitor

shivakumar, you "want to know" all about all kinds of neat subjects. So do we all.

That's a healthy curiosity, and good to see, however the subjects tend to get quite big so it is difficult to know how best to help you.

The way to get best value from these forums is to read about the subjects oneself and then ask questions about it where you get stuck. The questions are a way we can narrow down our replies to things that will be helpful.

Register to reply