Can MRI Scans Affect Heart Rate?

• Medical
  • Thread starter gerrycreighton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heart Mri
In summary, During an MRI of the right shoulder, the person noticed their heart rate increasing during the 4th cycle of scans. They were able to calm their heart rate down and had no issues during the last two cycles. The person had a similar experience during a low back MRI, but it's unclear what caused the increase in heart rate.
gerrycreighton
I was going to post in another thread with this title but it was closed? I had an MRI of the right shoulder today in an open MRI and went through about 6 cycles of scans (I think it was 6). During the 4th cycle I noticed that my heart rate was increasing. I went into this with a calm demeanor and was very relaxed so I know it wasn't me getting nervous. Being a mountain bike racer I was able to calm the rate down some until the 4min was up.

The last two cycles I was totally fine. What could cause this because I had this happen in the past for a low back MRI and I thought it was me getting claustrophobic but I really didn't feel that way.

Biology news on Phys.org
It's not the MRI, so we wouldn't know.

1. How does an MRI affect heart rate?

An MRI uses powerful magnets and radio waves to produce detailed images of the body's organs and tissues. These magnetic forces can cause changes in the electrical signals of the heart, resulting in an increased heart rate. This is a normal response to the magnetic field and usually resolves once the scan is complete.

2. Can an MRI cause heart palpitations?

Yes, an MRI can cause heart palpitations due to the changes in electrical signals of the heart. This can be a normal response to the magnetic field, but if you experience severe or prolonged palpitations during the scan, inform the technician or doctor immediately.

3. Is it safe to have an MRI if I have a heart condition?

In most cases, it is safe to have an MRI if you have a heart condition. However, it is important to inform the technician and your doctor beforehand so they can take necessary precautions. People with certain heart devices, such as pacemakers or defibrillators, may not be able to have an MRI.

4. Can an MRI detect heart problems?

Yes, an MRI can detect heart problems such as heart defects, heart muscle damage, and blocked blood vessels. MRI images can provide detailed information about the structure and function of the heart, which can help diagnose and monitor heart conditions.

5. Are there any risks associated with an MRI and heart health?

In general, an MRI is considered a safe procedure, but there are some rare risks associated with it. These include changes in heart rate or rhythm, allergic reactions to contrast dye, and possible interference with heart devices. It is important to follow all instructions and inform the technician and doctor of any concerns before the scan.