How do I fix my laptop keyboard not typing certain letters?

• Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Keyboard
In summary, the user's Windows 8 laptop keyboard does not produce any output when the user presses the keys, and some of the letters on the keyboard do not work. The user has tried to solve the issue by trying different combinations of keys, spraying air, and using the virtual keyboard. If the problem persists after trying these solutions, the user may need to replace the keyboard.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi All,

I have a problem with my Windows 8 laptop keyboard:
Some of the letters in the keyboard produce no output when I use them, i.e.,
some of the keys I hit on the keyboard do not result in any screen output. Note that I have not
spilled anything in nor near the computer. Please note also that the fact that I cannot type-in certain letters makes it harder for me to access many functions within the computer, because I cannot, e.g., do a search for terms that contain trouble letters (I actually found a way, but it is both extremely-long and tedious.)

What I have tried, after an online search:
combinations of keys: like Num Lock+ Scroll Lock, FN and Num Lock, etc. I copied

Strangely ( at least to me) , NumLock+ Scroll Lock helped a bit for a while, and I would
get input from the trouble keys, but ultimately the beneficial effect disappeared.

What I will try: Spray air, i.e., using pressurized air , hoping to get rid of dust particles
does that make sense?

What I have not tried:

Opening-up the keyboard ; I have been told to be careful about static electricity. I don't
have any experience working with electronics, and I don't want to experiment with my own
computer (I would love to learn if I had access to some idle equipment). I hate to go to a
repair place where they just open it up

Computer science news on Phys.org
For emergencies, (e.g. ordering a replacement keyboard on-line) ,
Windows comes with an on-screen "virtual" keyboard that you operate with a mouse or touch-screen ... http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/win8/windows8-keyboard-virtual.htm

keyboard_screen.jpg

My Dell laptop has a diagnostic program which, amongst other things , can tell if the laptop keyboard is damaged,
e.g. http://youtu.be/avbZHNtV528?t=7s
maybe your computer has similar self-diagnostic program to check hardware, ( it's not part of Windows ).

If groups of keys have simultaneously become faulty then a cracked/dislodged ribbon-cable from the keyboard to the motherboard could be the cause.

Last edited:
Thanks, B0b-A, I will look into it. I Appreciate it.

Overall, replacing a keyboard on a notebook computer is relatively easy. Some few require extra steps but in several, the keyboard will simply pop out if you push and lift properly. Don't worry too much about breaking it, these things can take some punishment. Just ground yourself before hand and you should be fine. If your computer is still under warranty, call the manufacturer and let them deal with it.

If not, the easiest way is to simply google the following:
replace keyboard <insert model #>
You should be able to find out exactly how to remove the keyboard safely.

I would first start with simply reseating (unplug the ribbon and plug it back in) the keyboard connector into the motherboard and testing to see if that made a difference. While you're at it, use a can of compressed air to blow the keyboard clean also when you remove it.

If the problem still exists, reseat one more time to make sure you didn't make a mistake. If still no go, then it's time to replace the keyboard. Find a vendor that sells the same keyboard and replace the existing one. In the mean time, either use the Virtual Keyboard as Bob suggested or use a USB keyboard.

WWGD said:
Hi All,

I have a problem with my Windows 8 laptop keyboard:
Some of the letters in the keyboard produce no output when I use them, i.e.,
some of the keys I hit on the keyboard do not result in any screen output.
Even if you wriggle your finger energetically in all directions while pressing down firmly, none of these silent keys will produce any output?

Have you tried a clean reboot? I know nothing about windows, but a few keyboard letters occasionally stop working for me on my Linux desktop, exactly like you are experiencing, and a reboot always restores proper working.

A new, entirely adequate keyboard costs less than $20. I've gone through a dozen or more. It's not worth the aggravation to try and fix one.

Thank you all, sorry I cannot reply in more detail, I am using an OSK.

What are some common keyboard problems?

Some common keyboard problems include keys not working, keys sticking, keys typing the wrong characters, and the keyboard not responding at all.

How can I fix a key that is not working?

If a key is not working, try cleaning the keyboard with compressed air or a soft cloth. If that does not work, the key may need to be replaced.

What can cause keys to stick?

Keys can stick due to dirt, debris, or spills on the keyboard. Additionally, if the keyboard is old or has been used extensively, the keys may become worn and stick.

Why is my keyboard typing the wrong characters?

This could be caused by a language or keyboard layout setting being changed, or a stuck key or modifier key. Check your settings and make sure all keys are functioning properly.

How do I fix a non-responsive keyboard?

First, try unplugging and replugging the keyboard. If that does not work, try restarting the computer. If the keyboard still does not respond, there may be an issue with the connection or the keyboard may need to be replaced.