Register to reply

Bohr's model of an atom

by kay
Tags: atom, bohr, model
Share this thread:
kay
Jul6-14, 06:24 AM
P: 12
Why is Bohr's model of an atom not able to explain the spectrum of atoms other than hydrogen? Can you give an example? :what:
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Technique simplifies the creation of high-tech crystals
Working group explores the 'frustration' of spin glasses
New analysis of oxide glass structures could guide the forecasting of melt formation in planetary interiors
mfb
Jul6-14, 07:32 AM
Mentor
P: 11,597
Is that homework?

Here is a hint: other atoms have more than one electron. Is this taken into account in the Bohr model?
kay
Jul6-14, 07:39 AM
No, it isn't. While reading the chapter i encountered this line which says that Bohr's model cant explain the spectrum of atoms other than hydrogen.
But another doubt, can Bohr's model explain the spectrum of species isoelectronic to Hydrogen?

mfb
Jul6-14, 07:42 AM
Mentor
Bohr's model of an atom

The Bohr model gives a reasonable approximation for light atoms (not molecules!) with just a single electron, yes.
It does not work well for heavy atoms due to relativistic effects and the size of their nuclei.
kay
Jul6-14, 07:49 AM
Relativistic effects? :/
jtbell
Jul6-14, 08:05 AM
Mentor
P: 11,623
Imagine a uranium nucleus with one electron, i.e. a U91+ ion. Calculate the orbital speed in the first Bohr orbit, assuming non-relativistic mechanics.
kay
Jul6-14, 08:09 AM
I'm a student of 11th class. I have no idea. I don't even know orbitals had speed.
I don't know what is relativistic or anything. Sorry. I can't understand anything. :(
jtbell
Jul6-14, 01:43 PM
Mentor
P: 11,623
Sorry, I thought you had at least seen a derivation of the Bohr orbit radii, which includes the orbital speed along the way. If you haven't, try the Wikipedia article on the Bohr model. It has enough information that you should be able to get the electron speed in orbit "n" with only a little bit of algebra.

The boundary between "non-relativistic" and "relativistic" is not sharp, but a common rule of thumb is that if a speed is greater than 0.1c, you really should be using relativistic equations.
mfb
Jul8-14, 12:55 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by kay View Post
I don't even know orbitals had speed.
They do not, but Bohr's orbits have a speed.

If that speed gets comparable to the speed of light ("c"), the formulas from classical mechanics (like kinetic energy = ##\frac{1}{2}m v^2##) get imprecise to outright wrong and you have to consider special relativity.
Phy_enthusiast
Jul9-14, 03:14 AM
P: 36
You should first do study of different quantum numbers assigned to electrons in an atom,Bohrs theory was succesfu l in expaining hydrogen spectra at that time,but it was a rudimentary theory made out of plancks law and observation of hydrogen spectra.

Register to reply