Heat exchange: Water to water through jacketed pipe

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to calculate the heat exchange in a double pipe heat exchanger for a wastewater-treatment facility. The goal is to cool off the wastewater and transfer the heat back to the factory. Due to the protein content in the wastewater, a plate exchanger is not suitable. The best option is to use a jacketed pipe with counterflowing hot and cool water. The speaker is seeking a better understanding of the calculations used to determine the heat exchange before ordering a heat-exchanger. They also request quick responses as it is a time-sensitive matter.
Skafsgaard
Edit: I've realized that it's not called a 'jacketed pipe', but simply a double pipe heat exchanger. Apologies, English is not my first language.

I have been asked to scour the webs for information about how to calculate the heat exchange in a jacketed stainless steel pipe, with hot water in the inner cylinder and cool, counter-flowing water in the outer cylinder.

I need the information in order to figure out which heat exchange option is better suited for a wastewater-treatment facility.

As it is, the wastewater has a temperature of 90ºC, which cannot be cleaned by the facility. Therefore it needs to be cooled off either way. But rather than simply cooling it off, I am looking to transfer the heat back to the factory so that they can reheat it from as high a temperature as possible.

The wastewater is full of protein, so a plate exchanger is not an option (as it would clog). Seemingly, the best option is to lead the hot wastewater through a jacketed pipe with counterflowing hot wastewater and cool water (wastewater is ~90ºC, cool water is ~5ºC).

Before ordering a heat-exchanger I would like to have a better understanding of the calculations used to determine the exchange of heat, and so as to know what result I can expect.

Any responses are much appreciated - especially quick ones, as this is a bit of a rushed matter.

Thanks,
Skafsgaard

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org

1. What is heat exchange?

Heat exchange is the transfer of thermal energy between two or more objects or substances. It can occur through conduction, convection, or radiation.

2. What is a jacketed pipe?

A jacketed pipe is a type of pipe that has an outer layer or "jacket" surrounding it. This jacket can be filled with a heating or cooling medium, such as water or steam, to control the temperature of the substance flowing through the pipe.

3. How does heat exchange occur through a jacketed pipe?

In a jacketed pipe, the heating or cooling medium in the jacket comes into direct contact with the outer surface of the pipe, causing the temperature of the pipe to change. This change in temperature is then transferred to the substance flowing through the pipe, allowing for heat exchange to occur.

4. What are the advantages of using a jacketed pipe for heat exchange?

Using a jacketed pipe for heat exchange allows for more precise control of the temperature of the substance being transferred. It also helps to prevent heat loss or gain during the transfer process, ensuring that the substance maintains its desired temperature.

5. What factors affect the efficiency of heat exchange through a jacketed pipe?

The efficiency of heat exchange through a jacketed pipe can be affected by factors such as the temperature and flow rate of the heating or cooling medium, the thickness and material of the pipe and jacket, and the type and properties of the substance being transferred.