Propagation of charged particle inside a set of magnets

In summary, The conversation is about finding the equations of a charged particle inside a dipole and quadripole. The person is looking for recommended literature to help them write a simulation program for a beam passing through these structures. They are specifically interested in the classical relation for calculating the radius of the bended particle, as well as the px, py, and exiting angle. They mention an outdated code that uses the formula costheta = q/sqrt(px*px+1) but are unable to find the derivation for it. They ask for any help or tips and mention a book called "The Optics of Charged Particle Beams" but are looking for something more recent as their library does not have it. They ask for other
Alkass
Hi

I am trying to find the equations of a charged particle inside a dipole & quadripole. Practically, I need to write a simulation program for it which assumes a beam passing through a dipole-quadripole-dipole which are setting around an arc. Is there some recommended literature ? Of course, I am not just interested into the classical relation of calculating the radius of the bended particle, rather than the px,py, exiting_angle etc-. For instance, I found in some outdated code, that costheta = q/sqrt(px*px+1) but could not find how to derive this formula.

Any help/tips appreciated.

Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
Dave Carey, "The Optics of Charged Particle Beams"

something more recent? my library does not have it...

More recent? Do you think the laws of physics have changed in the last few years?

Probably you missed that my library does not have it..so any other book suggestion ?

No, I just didn't want to play the game of "guess which books my library has".

What is the purpose of using magnets to guide charged particles?

The purpose of using magnets to guide charged particles is to control their trajectory and direct them towards a specific target or path. This allows for precise manipulation and study of the particles.

What factors affect the propagation of charged particles inside a set of magnets?

The main factors that affect the propagation of charged particles inside a set of magnets are the strength and orientation of the magnetic field, the velocity of the particles, and the mass and charge of the particles.

How do magnets impact the speed of charged particles?

Magnets can either accelerate or decelerate charged particles depending on the orientation and strength of the magnetic field. This is known as Lorentz force, which causes charged particles to experience a force perpendicular to their velocity.

Can charged particles change direction while propagating through magnets?

Yes, charged particles can change direction while propagating through magnets due to the Lorentz force. This can be controlled by adjusting the strength and orientation of the magnetic field.

How is the trajectory of charged particles inside magnets calculated?

The trajectory of charged particles inside magnets can be calculated using equations such as the Lorentz force equation and the equations of motion. These calculations take into account the magnetic field strength, particle velocity, and particle charge and mass.