Register to reply

Maximum Load on a Plastic Sheet

by jamesm
Tags: load, maximum, plastic, sheet
Share this thread:
jamesm
Jul7-14, 08:47 AM
P: 9
I am going to attempt to use a sheet of HDPE betwen a concrete footing and the base of a column to allow the column to move with thermal expansion in the structure it is supporting. My question is how can I determine if the HDPE will be crushed by the weight of the column and no longer act as a "bearing". The pressure from the column will be ~140 psi, and the tensile strength of HDPE is 4,000 psi with a Rockwell hardness of [Shore D60-68]. If this material is not strong enough what would be a suitable alternative?
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Student develops filter for clean water around the world
Developing the next evolution in underwater communication
Greg Bernhardt
Jul14-14, 11:39 AM
Admin
P: 9,282
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?
jamesm
Jul14-14, 11:54 AM
P: 9
If I decide to stick with the slide bearing idea I will probably use Teflon or UHMW Polyethylene since it has a lower coefficient of friction. I did find that the UHMW has a compressive strength of 3000 psi. The pressure that the column exerts on the UHMW will be ~150 psi so i'm thinking it will be fine, but I'm not 100% sure if pressure from a load is comparable to comp stress.

Thanks for following up.

Register to reply