Register to reply

Maximum Load on a Plastic Sheet

by jamesm
Tags: load, maximum, plastic, sheet
Share this thread:
jamesm
Jul7-14, 08:47 AM
P: 9
I am going to attempt to use a sheet of HDPE betwen a concrete footing and the base of a column to allow the column to move with thermal expansion in the structure it is supporting. My question is how can I determine if the HDPE will be crushed by the weight of the column and no longer act as a "bearing". The pressure from the column will be ~140 psi, and the tensile strength of HDPE is 4,000 psi with a Rockwell hardness of [Shore D60-68]. If this material is not strong enough what would be a suitable alternative?
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Comfortable climate indoors with porous glass
Crash-testing rivets
Customized surface inspection
Greg Bernhardt
Jul14-14, 11:39 AM
Admin
P: 9,334
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?
jamesm
Jul14-14, 11:54 AM
P: 9
If I decide to stick with the slide bearing idea I will probably use Teflon or UHMW Polyethylene since it has a lower coefficient of friction. I did find that the UHMW has a compressive strength of 3000 psi. The pressure that the column exerts on the UHMW will be ~150 psi so i'm thinking it will be fine, but I'm not 100% sure if pressure from a load is comparable to comp stress.

Thanks for following up.

Register to reply