Satellite phones' signal to satellites

In summary, despite the small size and lower power of modern satellite phones, they are able to broadcast signals to satellites in low Earth orbits due to the large high-gain antenna on the satellite and the shorter distance between the phone and the satellite. This allows for the maintenance of the link despite modest power and poor antenna on the handset. The frequency of the signal also plays a role in the successful transmission.
DocZaius
I can see how the satellite has enough power to broadcast to the phone, but it's perplexing to me how the phone has enough power to broadcast to the satellite, especially when it comes to these small modern satellite phones. They don't seem to even be aiming the signal.

Just from my experience with the range of radio signals coming from relatively small devices (wi-fi routers, cell phones, etc...), I would think that it wouldn't be even close to possible to send signals to the satellite, but I'm obviously wrong! I am guessing that the frequency of the signal has a lot to do with it.

What am I missing? Anyone with a back of the envelope justification for this?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Unlike the geostationary satellites in 36,000 km orbits that provide trunk links for mobile phone networks, sat phone birds are usually in low Earth orbits only 500-1000 km up. At these ranges and with a large high-gain antenna on the satellite, the link can be maintained despite modest power and poor antenna on the handset.

1. How do satellite phones communicate with satellites?

Satellite phones have a built-in antenna that transmits a signal to a satellite in orbit. The satellite then relays the signal to a ground station, which connects the call to the intended destination.

2. What affects the signal strength of a satellite phone?

The signal strength of a satellite phone can be affected by various factors such as the distance between the phone and the satellite, atmospheric conditions, and obstruction from buildings or natural features. Additionally, the type and quality of the satellite phone and its antenna can also impact signal strength.

3. Can satellite phones work anywhere in the world?

Satellite phones can work in most parts of the world, but some areas may have limited or no coverage due to the positioning of satellites. For example, polar regions may have limited coverage as satellites typically orbit closer to the equator.

4. Why are satellite phone calls often delayed?

Satellite phone calls can experience a delay due to the distance the signal must travel from the phone to the satellite and back to the ground station. This delay, known as latency, can range from a few hundred milliseconds to several seconds.

5. Can satellite phones be used for internet access?

Yes, satellite phones can be used for basic internet access, but the connection speed may be slower compared to traditional internet service providers. Satellite phones can also be used for email, messaging, and basic web browsing.