Hadron Collider Model

by stevep855
Tags: collider, hadron, model
Share this thread:
stevep855
Jul11-14, 09:41 AM
P: 1
Hi guys,

I have the idea of putting together a model collider that fires two smashable objects (eggs or whatever) at each other and show a high speed camera footage of the objects hitting each other - this is all as an analogy of what the hadron collider does at CERN.

Any ideas what I could use to accelerate the objects?

Any alternatives to eggs that I could use?

I've a mind to buy a couple of spring loaded projectile launchers, fit some clear plastic piping to a fish tank or some-such in the middle and fire them simultaneously at each other.

This is aimed at high school students,

your thoughts please...
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Optimum inertial self-propulsion design for snowman-like nanorobot
The Quantum Cheshire Cat: Can neutrons be located at a different place than their own spin?
A transistor-like amplifier for single photons
Drakkith
Jul13-14, 01:48 AM
Mentor
P: 11,592
A very simple setup would be a set of model train-tracks with two carts carrying something you want to collide. You can just push them towards each other until splat!

I do think you had a decent idea of piping with two spring loaded launchers. Just set them up to fire simultaneously and BAM!
enorbet
Jul14-14, 03:39 AM
P: 140
It would be fun to use two opposing compressed-air "potato guns". Differing densities of "ammo" could be used and the force easily controlled. I like your idea and I wager your class will love it.

Register to reply