Quartz Crystal Microbalance equilibrium

by dorins
Tags: crystal, microbalance, quartz
Share this thread:
dorins
Jul11-14, 12:40 PM
P: 1
Hi guys,

I am a new user of QCM and I am having trouble reaching equilibrium. I have isolated the chamber from air flows and vibrations, the crystals are clean and all the other removable parts have been cleaned as well.
The real problem is that sometimes I have managed to reach equilibrium by doing the exact same steps but 4/5 tries the frequency just giggles around in both air and water interfaces.

I do not know what else to try.

If any experienced users of QCM have suggestions, they would be very welcome and I would be very thankful.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Optimum inertial self-propulsion design for snowman-like nanorobot
The Quantum Cheshire Cat: Can neutrons be located at a different place than their own spin?
A transistor-like amplifier for single photons
rigetFrog
Jul12-14, 11:57 PM
P: 101
I'm assuming you're using it for monitoring deposited film thickness?

If you tell me which company made your quartz crystal monitor, I'll see what I can scrounge up.
UltrafastPED
Jul13-14, 05:46 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 1,908
How are you pumping down the system to achieve a vacuum? Your vibration isolation may be insufficient. Or your station is picking up vibrations from another external source, particularly if you are located in an upper floor of a building.

If those are not the answer, there may be a problem with the mounting of the crystal.

There are other possibilities. Is this a new system?

Register to reply