Electrolysis of Aqueous Sodium Iodide

In summary, electrolysis of aqueous sodium iodide involves passing an electric current through a solution of sodium iodide in water, causing the sodium and iodine ions to migrate towards the positive and negative electrodes, respectively. Aqueous sodium iodide is used because it allows for the flow of electricity through the solution. The products of electrolysis are sodium and iodine ions, which then combine to form sodium iodide molecules. The rate of electrolysis can be affected by factors such as concentration, electrode distance, current strength, and electrode surface area. Practical applications of this process include the production of sodium hydroxide, chlorine gas, and hydrogen gas, as well as its use in metal purification, battery production, electroplating, and
PFuser1232
According to my chemistry textbook, the I- ion is discharged at the anode. Yet, according to standard electrode potential values, the OH- ion should be discharged at the anode. Thoughts on this please?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I asked my Chemistry teacher the same thing, she told me to revisit my GCSE textbook and according to those principles of electrolysis, the halide ion should be preferentially discharged. Just as you have said, according to the principles of SEP, the hydroxide ion should be discharged. When you get an answer, please let me know and I will do likewise.

1. How does electrolysis of aqueous sodium iodide work?

Electrolysis of aqueous sodium iodide involves passing an electric current through a solution of sodium iodide in water. The electric current breaks down the sodium iodide into its individual components, sodium and iodine ions, which then migrate towards the positive and negative electrodes respectively.

2. What is the purpose of using aqueous sodium iodide in electrolysis?

Aqueous sodium iodide is used in electrolysis because it allows for the flow of electricity through the solution. The presence of water allows for the sodium iodide to dissociate into ions, making it an excellent conductor of electricity.

3. What are the products of electrolysis of aqueous sodium iodide?

The products of electrolysis of aqueous sodium iodide are sodium and iodine ions. The sodium ions migrate towards the negative electrode and the iodine ions towards the positive electrode. At the electrodes, the ions gain or lose electrons to form sodium atoms and iodine atoms, which then combine to form sodium iodide molecules.

4. What factors can affect the rate of electrolysis of aqueous sodium iodide?

Several factors can affect the rate of electrolysis of aqueous sodium iodide. These include the concentration of the solution, the distance between the electrodes, the strength of the electric current, and the surface area of the electrodes. Higher concentrations, shorter distances, stronger currents, and larger surface areas generally lead to faster rates of electrolysis.

5. What are some practical applications of electrolysis of aqueous sodium iodide?

Electrolysis of aqueous sodium iodide has several practical applications, including the production of sodium hydroxide, chlorine gas, and hydrogen gas. It is also used in the purification of metals, the production of batteries, and in certain industrial processes such as electroplating and water treatment.