Wireless is slow and intermittent

• Thread starter Drakkith
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wireless
In summary, the conversation revolves around a problem with the wireless internet on the speaker's laptop. They have noticed that it has been slow and goes out intermittently, but everything else using the wireless network seems to work fine. When using a wired connection, there are no issues. The signal strength and quality are max, so the problem may be due to a hardware fault or interference. The speaker asks for recommendations to narrow down the problem and receives suggestions to check the wireless receiver on their laptop and update the wireless network adapter driver. They also mention that spy software was added when considering them for a mentor. Another person recommends using a wifi analyzer to check for overlapping networks or connectivity issues. Finally, the speaker updates their wireless card driver and the
Drakkith
Mentor
I've noticed that lately my wireless internet on my laptop is slow and goes out intermittently. Everything else using my wireless network seems to work just fine though. (Phone and tablet) When I plug a network cable in and use a wired connection I don't seem to have any problems. Signal strength and quality are max as far as I can tell.

Just wondering what may be causing this. Hardware fault? Interference?

Does anyone have any recommendations to narrow this problem down?

Thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
It's the spy software we had to add when we considered you for mentor, sorry.

You'll get used to it.

Gah! Foiled once more by the almighty Evo!

You may need to check out the wireless receiver on your laptop. That is the likely culprit.

check for an update to your laptops wireless network adapters driver. Mine was doing same thing, once updated the problem was fixed.

Evo said:
It's the spy software we had to add when we considered you for mentor, sorry.

You'll get used to it.

hahaha !

skills4u said:
check for an update to your laptops wireless network adapters driver. Mine was doing same thing, once updated the problem was fixed.

definitely worth a look

Dave

skills4u said:

Just updated. Hopefully that works. Thanks!

If your neighbour is broadcasting on the same frequency it can interrupt your WiFi.
You can change the WiFi channel your router is using , even select "automatic" so it will use the quietest WiFi channel.

BTW a kitchen-foil reflector , (or half a Pringles-can bent into a parabolic-reflector), placed behind the router's antenna, can boost your wifi signal and block the interference from neighbours.

Last edited:
Thanks, Bob!

So hows the wireless going ?

skills4u said:
So hows the wireless going ?

I think it's fixed, but only time will tell. Thanks all!

If you're still experiencing issues, check out inSSIDer. It's one of the better typical-user wifi analyzers. It's good help when trying to discover overlapping networks or general connectivity quality issues. Completely free.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

I updated my wireless card drivers and that seems to have stopped the issue. I feel stupid for not thinking of it sooner. It's usually the first thing I recommend any time someone is having problems with their computer.

Drakkith said:
I updated my wireless card drivers and that seems to have stopped the issue. I feel stupid for not thinking of it sooner. It's usually the first thing I recommend any time someone is having problems with their computer.

Don't feel stupid. I do quite a bit of automotive diagnostics and it happens to me on a daily basis! :redface:

1. Why is my wireless connection so slow?

There are several potential reasons for a slow wireless connection. Some possible causes include interference from other electronic devices, distance from the wireless router, outdated hardware or software, or network congestion. It may also be due to a problem with your internet service provider.

2. How can I improve my wireless connection speed?

There are a few things you can try to improve your wireless connection speed. You can move closer to the wireless router, try using a wired connection if possible, update your hardware or software, or switch to a less congested wireless channel. You can also try restarting your router or contacting your internet service provider for assistance.

3. Why does my wireless connection keep dropping?

Intermittent wireless connections can be caused by a variety of factors. It could be due to interference from other electronic devices, distance from the router, outdated hardware or software, or network congestion. It may also be caused by a problem with the router itself or your internet service provider.

4. Can too many devices connected to the same wireless network cause slowness?

Yes, having too many devices connected to the same wireless network can cause slowness and intermittent connectivity. This is because the bandwidth is shared among all devices and can become overloaded. To improve performance, you can try limiting the number of devices connected at once or upgrading to a higher bandwidth router.

5. Is there a way to troubleshoot my slow and intermittent wireless connection?

Yes, there are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot a slow and intermittent wireless connection. You can try restarting your router, checking for interference from other devices, updating your hardware and software, and checking for network congestion. If the issue persists, you may need to contact your internet service provider for further assistance.