How Bluetooth 4.0 works

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) beacons in local retail outlets to send offers to shoppers' smartphones. There is confusion about how the offer is sent - whether through the beacon itself or through the internet. The conversation also explores the technical aspects of how the beacon sends a promo and if a wireless USB module can be used instead. The conversation ends with a request for more information and a suggested source for research.
bhaazee
Hi everyone,
I would like to know how the BLE functions in more detailed manner.

Consider the case of BLE beacons at the local retail outlet. I am notified of a offer when passing through the outlet. The offer may be a text based or a image based. I presume the merchant sends me a generic offer when his beacon detects my BLE on my smartphone.

Now, is this offer sent via the merchant's BLE to my BLE
or
sent by merchant through the internet to my smartphone?

If the image is sent via BLE, how is it possible? (aren't BLE supposed for small data transmissions?)

Firstly, how a beacon sends a promo? Will it have images stores in them or the beacon itself is connected to merchant's pos device to transfer promo from the pos through the beacon to the customer's smartphone

Now, are all the activities that's done using a BLE beacon, is also possible using a wireless usb module using BLE? I mean can a BLE usb module be used for determining the proximity of a smartphone just like what the BLE beacon does?

Would be great if someone can answer my queries.

Regards

Computer science news on Phys.org
Hi UltrafastPED,
That link have cleared many of my queries. Thanks for the link. I have few more doubts.

The slave (here the beacon) sends only a UUI (Universally Unique Identifier) to the master (here the shopper). Of course, the shopper may ignore the notification or perform some action. Now does sending the UUI to the master needs pairing, because UUI is similar to IP address as I believe.

I am happy to provide some information on how Bluetooth 4.0 (also known as Bluetooth Low Energy or BLE) works and how it is used in the context of BLE beacons at a local retail outlet.

Firstly, let's understand how BLE works. BLE is a wireless communication technology that allows devices to connect and exchange data over short distances. It uses radio waves to transmit data between devices, similar to how Wi-Fi and cellular networks work. However, BLE is designed specifically for low power consumption and small data transmissions, making it ideal for applications such as beacons.

Now, let's look at how a BLE beacon works in the scenario described. The beacon itself is a small device that transmits a signal at regular intervals. This signal contains a unique identifier that can be picked up by nearby smartphones with BLE capabilities. When a smartphone receives the signal, it can trigger a notification or action, such as displaying a promotional offer.

In terms of how the offer is sent, it can be done in a few ways. The beacon can be pre-programmed with a specific message or image to transmit, which can be stored in its memory. Alternatively, the beacon can be connected to a merchant's point-of-sale (POS) system, which can then send the offer to the beacon to be transmitted to nearby smartphones.

To answer your question, the offer is sent via the merchant's BLE to your smartphone. The beacon is simply acting as a transmitter, and the actual content of the offer is coming from the merchant's system.

As for the size of the data being transmitted, BLE is capable of transmitting small amounts of data, such as text or images. However, it is not designed for large data transfers, so the images being sent would likely be small and optimized for quick transmission.

In terms of using a wireless USB module with BLE capabilities, it is possible to use it for determining proximity of a smartphone. However, it may not be as accurate as a dedicated BLE beacon, as the USB module may not have the same range and precision as a beacon designed specifically for this purpose.

I hope this helps answer your queries. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

1. How does Bluetooth 4.0 differ from previous versions of Bluetooth?

Bluetooth 4.0, also known as Bluetooth Low Energy or Bluetooth Smart, is designed to consume less power and have a longer range than previous versions of Bluetooth. It also has the ability to transmit data at a lower rate, making it more energy-efficient for devices such as fitness trackers and smart watches.

2. How does Bluetooth 4.0 use less power?

Bluetooth 4.0 uses a new technology called "low energy" or "ultra low power" that allows devices to stay connected and communicate with each other while using significantly less power. This is achieved by using shorter data packets and reducing the frequency of data transmission.

3. How does Bluetooth 4.0 have a longer range?

Bluetooth 4.0 uses a lower frequency range (2.4 GHz) compared to previous versions of Bluetooth, which use higher frequencies. Lower frequencies have longer wavelengths, allowing them to travel further and penetrate through obstacles such as walls and furniture.

4. How does Bluetooth 4.0 connect devices?

Bluetooth 4.0 uses a process called "pairing" to connect devices. This involves one device (the initiator) sending a request to connect to another device (the responder). Once the connection is established, the devices can communicate with each other. This process is usually initiated by the user through their device's settings or a specific app.

5. How does Bluetooth 4.0 ensure secure communication?

Bluetooth 4.0 uses encryption to ensure secure communication between devices. When pairing, the devices exchange a unique code that is used to encrypt the data being transmitted. This code is only known to the paired devices, making it difficult for unwanted parties to intercept and decipher the communication.