Register to reply

Creating 3d coordinates from stereoscopic images

by steven77723
Tags: coordinates, creating, images, stereoscopic
Share this thread:
steven77723
Jul16-14, 11:27 AM
P: 4
Hi, I'm working on a project that would take a 3d image using stereocopic camera and would record the depth and the 2d (x1,y1) , (x2,y2) coordinates of a single point in the image. The depth is found using the focal point, disparity, and the distance between the difference the camera sees on the point.

I was wondering if there is a formula that would convert this point into a (x,y,z) coordinate. I'm stuck because even if the physical location of the point may be different, the camera would reply with a different depth, but same x,y values.

Thanks,
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Researchers discover cool-burning flames in space, could lead to better engines on earth (w/ Video)
Professors object to FAA restrictions on drone use
UConn makes 3-D copies of antique instrument parts
elegysix
Jul16-14, 10:29 PM
P: 314
isn't the depth the z coordinate? Could you be more specific about what you are imaging, and maybe include some kind of illustration?
Baluncore
Jul18-14, 12:48 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 1,766
Is this a correct description of the problem ?

You have two identical cameras. The pinholes of those cameras are positioned on the x-axis, the first at the origin, looking along the z-axis, with the second camera, at x = s, with camera 2 optical axis parallel to that of camera 1.

The images from the two cameras each have a cardinal reference point, defined by the intersection of the image and the optical axis. A point object, visible on both images is located relative to the reference point; on image #1 at (x1, y1), and on image #2 at (x2, y2).

Find the position of the point object(x, y, z), given s, and the (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) offsets.

Do you have the distance of the pinhole from the image plane?

blainiac
Jul18-14, 01:38 PM
P: 28
Creating 3d coordinates from stereoscopic images

This site may be of some use: http://www.dis.uniroma1.it/~iocchi/stereo/triang.html
It shows how to find coordinates for parallel and non-parallel camera positions to a point.

This one does a better job explaining it though:
https://courses.cs.washington.edu/co...cts/lect16.pdf
steven77723
Jul21-14, 12:21 PM
P: 4
Baluncore, Thats exactly how I should've worded it.
The distance from the pinhole to image plane is roughly about 50cm, but I want it to work for any value.
Baluncore
Jul21-14, 05:35 PM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 1,766
Quote Quote by steven77723
The distance from the pinhole to image plane is roughly about 50cm, but I want it to work for any value.
The x-coordinate is a function of s.

The z-coordinate is a function of the image plane to pinhole distance.
With a lens, that is the focal length only when focussed at infinity.
Let's be slack and just call it f.

So you must be able to somehow measure or calibrate f, against your camera separation, s.

Draw a view of the object and image placement in the x-z plane and you will see it is ratiometric.
x = s * x1 / (x1+x2), I will let you sort out the sign of the x values.
z = f * ?, and the y = ? values.

See the post#4 references from blainiac.

Register to reply