Plasmoid contamination in a Dense Plasma Focus

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential contamination of a Dense Plasma Focus device due to ionized cathode material being trapped in the Plasmoid during compression and fusion. It is mentioned that the answer to this question can be found on a separate thread and the individual is now working on calculating the number of particles that may contaminate the Plasmoid.
Warpspeed13
So I've been researching Dense Plasma Focus devices for a while now and a question just occurred to me. Since the fill gass such as deuterium is being ionized and then compressed and fused in the Plasmoid, wouldn't some of the cathode material also be ionized and the trapped in the Plasmoid polluting it? If this is the case what equations would you use to calculate the number of cathod material atoms trapped in the Plasmoid in moles?

See Dense Plasma Focus (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dense_plasma_focus)

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

Ahh don't worry I got my question answered on another thread. The answer is yes the particles to contaminat the Plasmoid now I am trying to figure out how to calculate how many.

1. What is plasmoid contamination in a Dense Plasma Focus?

Plasmoid contamination in a Dense Plasma Focus is a phenomenon that occurs during the operation of a plasma focus device, where the plasma discharge is disrupted by the formation of unstable, dense plasma structures called plasmoids. These plasmoids can lead to unwanted fluctuations in temperature and pressure, and can cause contamination of the plasma with impurities.

2. What causes plasmoid contamination in a Dense Plasma Focus?

The exact cause of plasmoid contamination is not fully understood, but it is believed to be a result of instabilities in the plasma discharge. These instabilities can be caused by a variety of factors, including the geometry of the device, the gas composition, and the operating conditions.

3. How does plasmoid contamination affect the performance of a Dense Plasma Focus?

Plasmoid contamination can significantly impact the performance of a Dense Plasma Focus device. The presence of plasmoids can lead to fluctuations in temperature and pressure, which can affect the stability and efficiency of the plasma discharge. Additionally, the impurities introduced by plasmoid contamination can alter the properties of the plasma, making it more difficult to control and manipulate.

4. Can plasmoid contamination be prevented?

While it is not currently possible to completely prevent plasmoid contamination in a Dense Plasma Focus, there are measures that can be taken to minimize its effects. This includes optimizing the design and operating conditions of the device, as well as using techniques such as pre-ionization to stabilize the plasma discharge.

5. What are the potential applications of Dense Plasma Focus technology despite the issue of plasmoid contamination?

Dense Plasma Focus technology has a wide range of potential applications, including nuclear fusion research, materials processing, and medical treatments. While plasmoid contamination is a challenge that needs to be addressed, it does not negate the potential benefits of this technology in various fields.